Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Extreamly poor milage!!!!

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  crazy_urn 
#1 ·
Ok, in my recent updates I have installed the Reactive Intake and done the Intake manifold mod as shown from waterboy. Other Addons are - New 150amp alt - However though I do see a deffinate increase in performace my milage in town has suffered considerably as of late. Its an AutoMatic trany and 2.0 SPI - (building a new Zetech do drop in later). Anyway current milage in town has dropped to around 12 mpg - Highway is still hovering about 25. The car never got much better than 28mpg before. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of milage from there foci ? With the recent price of fule (premium only) over $2.10 a gallon milage is a concirn for me now.

Thanks

#5 ·
Technodweeb said:
Ok, in my recent updates I have installed the Reactive Intake and done the Intake manifold mod as shown from waterboy. Other Addons are - New 150amp alt - However though I do see a deffinate increase in performace my milage in town has suffered considerably as of late. Its an AutoMatic trany and 2.0 SPI - (building a new Zetech do drop in later). Anyway current milage in town has dropped to around 12 mpg - Highway is still hovering about 25. The car never got much better than 28mpg before. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of milage from there foci ? With the recent price of fule (premium only) over $2.10 a gallon milage is a concirn for me now.

Thanks
$2.10 for premium? Man thats a steal! Its $2.40 out here for regular unleaded in San Diego. As for your problems. Whats the milage on your car?

#6 ·
It could be your DPFE sensor. Does it idle crappy too? My DPFE went bad, but no CEL. My mileage went into the crapper, as did performance. If you've got a CEL, you need to go to AutoClowns and get the codes read.

I have also had EGR, IAC, and O2 sensor issues. It could be any of them. Get in touch with Focuzsport or Focaltech and see what they say. I doubt they'd steer you wrong.

Jim

#7 ·
Re: Re: Extreamly poor milage!!!!

KoRnGtL15 said:
$2.10 for premium? Man thats a steal! Its $2.40 out here for regular unleaded in San Diego. As for your problems. Whats the milage on your car?
ouch! thats alot. Its only 0.90 cents here for regular unleaded. If it ever gets to 2$, its when i will start walking!

G
#12 ·
I ran a tank of Premium Fuel in my SPI....and my mod list is long. Our cars ABSOLUTELY HATE premium fuel. The only the SPI will like it is if you have a chip that you can switch to 93 or 94 octane.

1 - Check your plugs.
2 - Change back to regular unleaded
3 - Add in a fuel system cleaner
4 - Rinse and Repeat

Your mileage should pick up after that. STOP USING PREMIUM FUEL. Might as well just get 20bux and burn it with your zippo.

Gabe

#13 ·
I would definitely start with using rugular rated octane. The SPI's compression ratio is NOWHERE near enough to handle premium. As stated previously, even with a huge mod list, you should only be using 93 or higher with either a performance chip or an SVT. If switching gas doesn't help, then look into the mechanical issues mentioned. You don't want to drop a handful of Benjamins only to discover that using regular would have fixed it.

G
#15 ·
exoticrider04 said:
I dont see how ur guy's focus's cant handle premium, i have used it in mine with additives also, i didnt have any problems using it
There are no problems in using it. What you will find is that the motor will eat up 93 octane fairly quickly. The fuel maps and ignition timing are not made for that high of an octane gas. From stock to having all the boltons its all the same....stick to 87.

#16 ·
ok let me see if I can asnwer all the questions aside from my spelling mistakes. Ok the plugs are being changed time for that anyway the car dose have 40K miles on it. As for the fuel pump recal I have not had that done yet I will take it to the dealer and have that performed. As for the fuel I ran regular unleaded in the car for one part of a trip and tracked the milage my mileage was about 23 per gallon on regular unleaded. Switched to mid grade and it went up to 25 per, switched to permium and it has stayed close to 26 or 27 highway only. In town well lets just say I dont get 250 miles to a tank of fuel. But then I do have a very heavy foot lol.

#18 ·
i get not so good mileage either

i own a 01 focus se. i only get 24 miles per gallon, if my car is beeing good. the only time i got 34 miles per gallon, is when i used fuel treatment. but now, i am at 1/4 tank with only 154 miles on the odometer. WTF is wrong? no lights come up and stuff. the gas prices here are 2.51 for reg. fuel. do i have to keep using additives? i heard it is bad to keep using them.

#19 ·
gas milage always seems to get worse as cars grow older, but there are a few things that might help

check your spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, and all that other good stuff. i do not think 24mpg is too horible for a 4 year old car. how many miles do you have on it?

G
#22 ·
Stitch said:

code415, what kind of mods would do the trick?
I have:
intake
60mm TB
Cat Back Exhaust
magnecore wires
double plat plugs
accel coil
BDR UDP
BDR Cam Gear set at +5
MAFtuner set at RICH

I am about to install the shorty header and orp this weekend so hopefully it will get better with that also.

hehe[thumb]

#24 ·
Heres a nice note for you all, I did decide to go back to 87 octane if for nothing else than the price. Also I changed my plugs and found a nice dealer error :p All of my plugs seemed fine for plugs with 40K miles on them except that plug #1 was not the same type (#) as the other 3, Checking with the autolite site I found that the plug in #1 was not even for my car also all of the plugs were improperly gapped. Long story short they were causing part of my problems , I will let you all know what the mileage is like after the next tank of fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.