Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Exhaust and Headers Job

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  smoknzx3 
#1 ·
Whatz up SPI fans. Here is the deal. I want to put an after market exhaust (catback, the whole deal) along with headers. Are there any websites that u guys and girls might recommend that I could these mods from.
Also, I found this shop that will actually install everything on my car, including piping and flanges. It will go from 1 3/8" to 2.5", but here is the catch. This guy doesn't have stainless stell, instead he uses aluminum. What do yall think, should I go for that, and what are the drawbacks anyways?

#2 ·
flavoredtoothpaste said:

Also, I found this shop that will actually install everything on my car, including piping and flanges. It will go from 1 3/8" to 2.5", but here is the catch. This guy doesn't have stainless stell, instead he uses aluminum. What do yall think, should I go for that, and what are the drawbacks anyways?
focus-central.com and this part loses me.....does he make it or install it....if its just the install it doesnt matter. if he makes it use stanless steel

#3 ·
Focus Sport me friend. BUt you should really read the STICKIE titled SPI GUIDELINES it has almost all the information your looking for. I would suggest Race Headers, High Flo Cat, and Focus Sport exhaust

#4 ·
Sorry to tell you but a Race Header requires the removal of the cat. Which means if you get a Race header, you can't get a high flow cat. If you want to stay legal go with a shorty header like Ford Racing's and get a high flow cat and a cat-back. If you don't mind being loud and being illegal, then get a race header, and cat-back. Don't forget that a flex pipe would be a good idea too.

#6 ·
Hmmm, I didn't say anything about the shorty header making you remove the cat.

if you want to stay legal go with a shorty header like Ford Racing's and get a high flow cat and a cat-back. If you don't mind being loud and being illegal, then get a race header, and cat-back. Don't forget that a flex pipe would be a good idea too.

#9 ·
hey guys, are there any websites that u would recommend. Also, about that aluminum part, I have no idea if he makes it or just installs it. I know it sounds kinda shady, but its only $80 for the whole thing. And yeah, I do want to stay legal, stupid california laws.......................:)

#14 ·
HezNine said:
Anyways, also if you want to stay closer to legal get a 2.25 not 2.5 that's pushing it on emmisions I think.
LOL he's prolly right on this one i have 3" and im pretty sure its not gonna pass.. In reference to the "is he going to buy it or just install it" up above, I had shorty's put on mine w/ magnaflow and just removed the cat altogether, and even with all that installation they still have to run plenty of pipe that they install themselves, so i suppose he meant that he'll have to do both...IMO =)

#18 ·
HezNine said:
Does anyone have a 3" and passed emissions? How bout 3" and no cat? Hey PinkFreek, you got an SPI right? how does a 3" inch work for you? Huge boost? I've heard if you go too big you will lose power....
I got the 3" a few weeks back and noticed great gains; much more so w/ no cat, although my car sure rumbles!!! Yesterday i had it split into duals...only then in first gear did i notice a little loss of backpressure. Of course, I havent done any work on the intake part (parts on their way) so as soon as i slap the cai on that should dissapear. overall, im extremely satisfied with the whole deal...and damn it looks good from behind...ill be gettin some pics for your viewing pleasure =)

#19 ·
HezNine said:
Does anyone have a 3" and passed emissions? How bout 3" and no cat? Hey PinkFreek, you got an SPI right? how does a 3" inch work for you? Huge boost? I've heard if you go too big you will lose power....
Show me a state where ANY car passes emmissions with no cat, and I'll start packing today. You MIGHT pass the machine inspection (doubtful) but if they do a visual inspection you're screwed.

There's no shame in having a shorty header/hi flow cat/cat-back setup, in fact that's what I'm going to be going with.

#20 ·
WTF!? Ok the pipe diamiter isn't going to hurt you passing your inspection. And of course you can't pass with out the CAT! that's the main part. you take that off and you will NOT pass. Not to mention there is no reason to go with a 3" pipe for your engine, it's not going to be any differnt then 2.5, which I personally think is still to much unless your going to go FI. Stay with the 2.25". Stainless is the better option it will never rust. But in Cali, it might not be a big deal unless you live on the coast. Buy the Magnaflow and you'll be happy.

#21 ·
FucusUnderground said:
Show me a state where ANY car passes emmissions with no cat, and I'll start packing today. You MIGHT pass the machine inspection (doubtful) but if they do a visual inspection you're screwed.

No way he'll pass the macheine is so touchy that if you have a hole in the system anywhere it fails you. Taking the CAT off is going to really mess it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.