Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Running Rich?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  slowfocusboi 
#1 ·
I seem to notice that many SPI's have black shit on their rear bumper above the mufler.. Mine does too. do the SPI's inherently run rich? Is it because I drive like a maniac (I seem to remember going 1 tank wo going WOT, but still got black stuff).
I'm running regular gas in the car.. should I jump up to higher octane?

edit: I have filter, did the SWAB mod but didnt' feel I was getting any gains from it, so that's been reconnected...

This was going on when I was stock.. and I assume the others I've seen are stock too..

#2 ·
don't add a higher octane of gas becuase your car is only made to run on 87. it actually says in the manual not to add anything ove 87. i do put a little premium in there every once and a while. i can't say that i've noticed any black shit on the rear bumper but my car is black. id probably have it looked at.

#3 ·
it's not a HUGE ammount of black crap.. it's not like some of the Rycers I see in my area with their cars so rich / improperly tuned that the back of a white car is grey. I'll take a picture today and post em when I get out of class ~ 5

#6 ·
my exhaust did that a little not much just wash it more than often so it wont stain but i will say once i got an exhaust system the black stuff went away but it went to my tip so now i have to keep to tip clean its really not a hard concept get an exhaust system and your problem will be solved man

#7 ·
ptownfocus: what do you use to clean your exhaust tip? Mine is pretty dirty, and regular car wash soap won't clean it. I haven't tried metal polish yet. I was wandering if there is a household cleanser that would do it (preferably non-flamable, but I'll take whatever I can get...I'd hate to have to buy metal polish just for my exhaust tip).

#8 ·
depends on what u want to use i use grease lighting, its made for boats and takes grease off boats so i tried it on the car and it worked, spray nine would probably work but havent tried it, just dont use anything with an acid in it or you will be ****ed if u get in on your car by accident, hmm thats about all i can think of honestly look at a grocery store in household products anything that takes grease away should work cuz all it is is a type of grease thast what the shops owner that i go to told me

#9 ·
i havent noticed that any, only black stuff i get is actually on my tail pipe, i put an extender on it and it has a little dribble on the bottom, wipes off though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.