Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Drop in K&N vs Short Ram

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  djmtrain 
#1 ·
Has anyone dynoed a K&N drop in replacement filter against a short ram intake kit?

#2 ·
I think the difference is going to be slim. In fact it would probably fall within the 1-3hp range...and dynos arent all that accurate to be certain if it is actual gain or just the dyno reading. [dunno]

#3 ·
Yeah... I have a drop in K&N with Tom's custom tune and the car is running great. I was just trying to decide if upgrading to a short ram and getting a revised tune would be worth the money. I'm betting that it wouldn't.

#5 ·
I had the drop in K&N on my SVTF and I thought it was fine, but when I switched to my Steeda SRI there was definitely a difference in performance. That "ram air scoop" isn't like having a CAI. It sucks in a minimum amount of air with that design and placement. It's not bad for stock, but you will do better with an aftermarket SRI. I've never had any problems with heat soak or sucking in too much hot air either. Having had both set ups that's my experience...

#6 ·
generally, the method that best gets cold, fresh air to the intake is going to give you the most gains ... I wouldn't bother with a short ram unless you get a short ram type hood with vents to take advantage of the open filter, otherwise you are just sucking in hot air ... if you don't get a vented hood, go CAI ... I know people who run in the florida where it rains a ton and they haven't had any problems with the AEM CAI.

#7 ·
funksilver04 said:
I had the drop in K&N on my SVTF and I thought it was fine, but when I switched to my Steeda SRI there was definitely a difference in performance. That "ram air scoop" isn't like having a CAI. It sucks in a minimum amount of air with that design and placement. It's not bad for stock, but you will do better with an aftermarket SRI. I've never had any problems with heat soak or sucking in too much hot air either. Having had both set ups that's my experience...
Exactly what happened to me. I have the drop-in at first and then switched out to the K&N Typhoon SRI and was surprised at the results...MUCH better sound, better pull through the powerband, and it looks so sweet in the bay. It's a relatively cheap mod (around $150) and you will like it.

#8 ·
JohnMichael said:
Exactly what happened to me. I have the drop-in at first and then switched out to the K&N Typhoon SRI and was surprised at the results...MUCH better sound, better pull through the powerband, and it looks so sweet in the bay. It's a relatively cheap mod (around $150) and you will like it.
Did you have a custom tune with your drop in, or did you switch from a stock tune and a drop in to a short ram and a custom tune? I've already got a custom tune so I don't think I'd gain much from a short ram.

#9 ·
Snagged the tune after I did alot of my other mods, you will definitely notice your engine breathing alot easier with the SRI.

#11 ·
I never really understood what Heatsoak meant until winter came...I installed my SRI during the blitz heat of summer and it felt great. When the cold weather came rolling in, you could tell a difference in the performance, the car pulled harder. But, after the initial roll during the summer heat, you can't tell.

I don't know how hot it gets in IL, but in Louisiana it gets stinky, humid hot...like the freaking tropical rain forest, and my SRI still performs better than that stock airbox.

#12 ·
BCESVT1 said:
Yeah... I have a drop in K&N with Tom's custom tune and the car is running great. I was just trying to decide if upgrading to a short ram and getting a revised tune would be worth the money. I'm betting that it wouldn't.
...Or get a short ram with a heat shield. Makes a difference. Also, just freeing up some airflow is not going to require a new tune - the ECU will adjust for that with the current tune you have from Tom.

#14 ·
Heatsoak... the air under the hood isn't THAT much warmer than the ambient temperature when you are moving. Maybe a couple horsepower difference.

With a CAI you can hydrolock if you don't have the bypass. The bypass pretty much defeats the power advantage the CAI has over a SRI, plus the filter gets dirty quicker... and gauze filters don't filter as well as paper!

#16 ·
JohnMichael said:
I don't know how hot it gets in IL, but in Louisiana it gets stinky, humid hot...like the freaking tropical rain forest, and my SRI still performs better than that stock airbox.
we have regular 95+ degree summers, and it gets pretty damn humid with the lake so close.

i dont doubt that lousiana summers are hotter/humid, but our summers are nothing to scoff at

#17 ·
I am running a K&N intake and have noticed a big difference in two areas....

1) I can cruise at lower rpms than before (like before cruising at 2300 rpm would have been impossible but now its fine)

2) Throttle response - this is the biggest gain I noticed...as soon as you touch the gas it gives immediate response whereas before it would take a sec

Although, I have researched this and know that Gauze filters do not filter as well.

#18 ·
Well, I thought I would just add one more perspective, thought it is not much different than what has already been said. I have run both the K&N drop in filter and the K&N aircharger SRI. I have run both with and without tunes. I would say that the SRI definitely adds a couple of hp over the panel filter but I was impressed by the improvement of the K&N panel filter over the stock piece. I would definitely go with a SRI rather than a CAI because of the chance of hydro-lock, which is a serious concern where I live, and I really doubt it gets you much more power, the K&N aircharger kit comes with a heat shield and takes advantage of the stock "ram air" tube. Anyway, just my take on it. If you are going for best bang for the buck just go with the panel filter, if you want a little more safe power get a SRI and if you want all out, though probably not much more, go with a CAI, but just be careful of puddles as you one bad splash away from a f'd up engine.[xx(]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.