Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Hypothetical Boost

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TSnedSi 
#1 ·
Ok.. I seriously crave boost like a crackhead needs his next fix. So Here's a little bit of a poll/hypothetical question, so i can gauge whether this is feisable or not.

Two Parter (from a rookie), so bear with me.

1) For the boosted Foci Owners: At approximately what mileage/age did you boost your Foci?

2) Here's the hypothetical part: At what mileage is it no longer wise to add boost?

A little explination: Got my car used to replace a wrecked car, and fell in love with her (01 5sp ZX3). Currently at about 69k. Boost wouldnt even be an option till at least 80k or so, due to budget constraints (ie, Im Broke [mad] [?|] [V] ). I seriously want to boost my car, because as much as I love it.. i want something a little quicker. Its stock at the moment, and before i boost, id throw on a TB, Exhaust, Better Intake, Possible Chip, and Possibly a mild cam, etc.. basic bolt-ons and other work possibly. Then, nothing extreme in the boost department, turbo, running moderately low boost (I was thinking around 9psi), intercooled, with a relatively small turbo that spools quick, looking for around 200-220 at the wheels possibly with good low end. nothing outrageous, just solid numbers. More street than anything.

Does this seem feisable on a car that would have 80k+ miles? Would a rebuild be in order first? Obviously, i would have the engine fully checked out before attempting it.

As i said.. currently its in the Hypothetical Stages. Lemme know what you think, rants, raves, thoughts, etc. Info greatly appreciated! [thumb]

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
1). I had 4K on my 02zx5 when I put the JRSC on it.... I had 1500 miles on my 04SVTF when I turbo'd.... why wait till it gets wornout...

2). No longer wise to boost when you're to weak to turn the key......[whip]

#4 ·
Mine had 84,000 on it when the turbo went on, now at 89,000 and no issues. I do restrict it to 7 psi due to the age of the motor. Every thing was in good shape before the turbo was put on and at almost 200 ft-lbs torque at the wheel, it works quite well in every day traffic. [:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.