Focus Fanatics Forum banner

So you want to buy an intake?

84K views 270 replies 156 participants last post by  murrayjay57 
#1 ·
for the most part there are two types of intakes

1.short ram
2. CAI

there are others such as Ram Air, and custom setups which differ and fit both or neither of the categorys, Forced Induction often replaces the need for either one and utilizes its own intake system

here we will discuss the main two and which is right for you and the differnt brands

1. Short Rams
are basically a short piece if piping or tubing which generally have a larger internal diameter than stock and use a cone or similar shaped filter to induce a better flow of air into the intake stream. this type of intake is abundant and usually less exspensive than its counterpart. they are usually less favored because they pull in hot air from under the engine bay, which many dislike and choose CAI for

some companies and types of short rams:

AEM metal piping, some use the stock MAF housing and some relocate it onto the pipe which doesnt allow for an MAF upgrade, however somwhat makes up for it

BOMZ this cheap alternative uses metal piping and offers a less exspensive route to a better intake system, though its method of sale (Ebay) somwhate lowers expectations on quality

MAC also uses metal piping this one is a good compromise of dollars for performance, nice intake for the price

STEEDA very similar to the AEM and MAC only w/ a name and price tag

others include STR, Ractive, K&N, Weapon R, INJEN, HP Racing and many others

CAI or cold air induction is known so because of the way it extends its search for air beyond under the hood, there are differnt types of CAI, some will debate whether they are or not but for ease of argument i will divide them into two differnt categories

Standard CAI (Metal, one or few piece tube) these use their own mounting for the MAFs which doesnt allow for an MAF upgrade usually extend towards the bottom of the front left of the car, these are known to have problems such as causing the engine to stall upon starting, and being submerged in water, there are alternatives to fix the latter problem such as Bypass valves, which involve cutting the pipe and installing the valve somwhere usually in the engine compartement in the intake line so that when the filter is submerged the valve pulls in the dry engine air. Some of these include INJEN, AEM, and BOMZ, which also make short rams, and come in a many varities of colors and finishes as well as many other makes and models, these intakes were popular "back in the day" but there are better alternatives to most of them which brings me to the second category

Intakes like the FOCUS CENTRAL and VOLANT are known favorites, they utilize the CAI method while maintaining most of the stock placements of filters and MAF positions, and in doing so dissolve the two problems of the latter CAIs, they usually include a larger diameter piping or tubing running from the Throttle Body to the MAF, (uses stock MAF and allows for upgrade of MAF), and then connecting to the air box, which although some of them use the stock box, most include thier own alternative, these intakes then extend beyond in their own method, such as these three main ones

FOCUS CENTRAL uses a rubber elbow and a metal pipe combined w/ its own open topped air box containing a cone filter, comes w/ snorkel, the open top box functions w/ the Ram Air hood, also offered by Focus Central, user comments are not the best looking but serves function

VOLANT seems to be the favorite of this site, uses plastic tubing that runs from the tb to its own open top box, should also work w/ the FC or similar hood, also allows for SVT snorkel upgrade

ICEMAN similar to Volant except utilizes the stock box, comes w/ drop in panel filter, and mini snorkel for the resonator hole, as well as an upgraded intake snorkel, looks to be stock which is a plus for CARB tight states

filters can often be a secondary choice on the intake, primarily the provided intake filter is usually high flowing enough, others offer such alternatives such as the ITG filter which has a heatshield(fits most short rams and stock tube) but as for the price it is generally considered not worth it, and the highest flowing filter isnt always the best, remember what filters are for it is best to have a high flowing filter that also filters out all harmful particles which could cause imediate or collective damage

hope this helps some ppl , lemme know all the stuff i forgot or should change so i can make it the best

ill leave the rest here for questions and answers on the intake material

See less See more
#52 ·
Racer X SVT said:
ok if you want just the sound of an intake take out that resignator out of your stock air box, sounds almost ezactly the same as an aftermarket intake. Also don't get a AEM Cold air, 3 of my friends have lost the engines due to water coming up the tube, one even had a Bypass valve. Get a a volant if your gonna get one or a short ram. If you want Colder air coming in Get a european grill and european Snokel Extension for the regular snokel. You will get tons of cold air. Take strait cold air from your front grill.

good advice for the most part. i dont really think the resonator removal sounds too great though. not a huge difference like an intake. tell ur friends or anyone u know with the aem long tube to go to www.myfordperformance.com ray over there manufactured a weather shield that will block basically any water from getting to the filter without hindering performance.

volant is a great intake btw! love mine

#53 ·
i understand that the volant seals to the ram air hood but what if u have a stock hood ? is there just a big hole on top of the air box?? how does the volant work with a stock hood or does the volant have a lid that goes on? thanks

#59 ·
euro zx3 i have read alot of your posts mabye you can help me???? what is best intake for svtf??
i did a search and didnt find alot of answers pertaining to the svt's, they make so many intakes for the regluar focuses but not for the svt's i know k&n aem and steeda make short rams, but from what i read on this site is that short rams dont give much power and little to no torque, and when its hot the dont give power cuse of the hot air. then there is the aem cold air intake, good power but a chance of sucking in water, when does it suck in water on the highway at 65 of if u splash through a puddle? does the air bypass valve help to prevent this? what if you put the k&n filter bag over the filter? how many people still run the aem cold air with out problems? where does the filter hang in front of the tire? up in the fenderwell? how does it get so wet? im sure this has been asked before but i cant find a answer so id like to know please thanks alot guys.

#60 ·
the filter in the long tube is just blatently exposed. it is the best power making intake for the svt though. id get it, but go to www.myfordperformance.com and pick up the weather shield you will be fine! id get the one without the scoop. the shield wont hinder performance but will keep ur filter dry! that + the bypass valve just in case and you will be fine.

#61 ·
euro can u explain what the shield bolts up to and where it mounts and are u sure this wont affect performance? does the bypass filter affect performance by sucking air through the bypass filter or does it only suck it if the air filter is clogged ? thanks again.

#67 ·
intake

its silver. cant tell you about scratches until i see my car again, hopefully thursday. its in the race shop about 60 miles away. if weather finally clears i will be picking it up intake thursday. had to wait for steeda to get here.

#70 ·
intake

Hi this is my first post.

i have a question about short ram vs. CAI. My Focus is a sedan LX, so i have the SOHC engine, and as i have been lookin for intakes i can only find short ram intakes. I Do live in seattle Washington so short ram may be best, but on ebay all the CAI say for DOHC engines only. I was wondering why CAI wouldn't work for the SOHC engine? i looked at my friends SE model focus with the Dohc engine and the intake set up and engine bays look the same, does anyone know if i could put the CAI into my LX Focus?
-thanks

#71 ·
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about a CAI. Just get a short ram intake. If you don't mind sucking up water and screwing up your engine then get a CAI, but if you don't want to suck up water and not screw up your engine then get the short ram intake.

#73 ·
GO AEM --- its no problem with suckN up water ( just use the by-pass valve) andit gives good increases in HP and torque-- but u won't see it on a dyno-- got to test it another way- but it works well for me and i dont have the by-pass valve on it- i never had a problem sucking up water- i had the volant but i got rid of when i tried my friends focus with just an AEM on it and i loved it- better response - could feel better gains- so if u goin for speed go AEM

#74 ·
intake

i plan to get an intake off Ebay. there like under 30$, is it worth it? i plan to buy a K&N filter after i get it so is it worth spending way more money for AEM or K&N intakes, i am going with short ram cuz they don't make CAI for the SOHC 2.0L engine that i have.

OO and if anyone knows how good or bad the Springs on ebay are? like DropZone? i know EIBACH are the best but i don't have the money to spend, no steady income. still in highschool. and no job :( and :)

#76 ·
Yea, in order for the SPI engine to use a intake that is made for the zetec engine, you must buy a 60mm throttle body, you an get one from focus central. That allows you to use the bigger size intake tubing.

Even though this isn't a suspension thread but you asked about it, I wouldn't go with drop zone. From what I've heard they suck, heard they don't drop your car down much anyways. Save up your money and get the Eibach Pro-Kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.