Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Why street racing is dumb

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Hexx 
#1 ·
Tonight, a Merc tried to race me....

It started off with me speeding up to get by a guy (2 lanes on my side - in town mind you)....the Merc was behind me, got on my right, got even with my car, gave it a little juice...kinda a nudge to say "lets go."

We we rolling, and I said ah what the **** (even though there are mad cops out tonight)....I wasnt really saying "lets race" but the road was clear up ahead, etc.

We werernt neck and neck when he took off....I was half way up his car. I didnt even know when this "race" took place...err started. He just slammed his gas and took off a little, I hit mine to catch up...I never really caught up to him, and only lost a little ground because I wasnt "ready."

I dont remember the model, but my friend that was with me says it looked like a lower end.

When this kid (yeah, a kid go figure) was a car length ahead of me (i let off my gas because I didnt want to risk getting pulled over...) he threw me the peace sign out his window....WTF!?

Apparently he thought he won this mysterious race....

So. We came to another stop light, took off slow...at a roll, neck and neck again...I wanted to play his game...but again, I wasnt being 100% serious due to the amount of cops out tonight. I hit my gas and took off. I was ahead by half car length, shifted into 2nd, hit rev limiter because if I shifted into 3rd and punched it, I would really go over speed limit....thats a no no lol.

Anyways...i shifted into 3rd but let off the gas to coast. He is still in his "race" and I DID push on my brake before he passed me...which should have signaled that "look guy, Im not really racing." He flys by, then hits his brakes, and pulls into Pizza hut...I give him the peace sign - its only fair that I won.

To be honest I dont even know why Im posting this thread...bored I guess. This post isnt to say "I owned his car, Mercs suck" no, its more of "what the hell happened tonight????" How is just taking off from a roll, no signal, no hand gesture, no nothing...how is that even a race??? Even honking of the horns is dumb....when do you stop? Is it when you are a car length ahead of the other guy? What if all his power is in 3rd gear and you are winning in 2nd?

Wow...just wow. This is one reason why I bring it to the track....or auto x more now...since that has more "skill."

See less See more
#2 ·
very random post but thank you for the entertaining story

#3 ·
Interesting story, funny none the less.

#5 ·
You were probably wise to listen to your Jedi sense about the fuzz. Street racing is dumb , Iv done it and Im not proud (but the ST's are just amazing). La La La ... I raced a accord yesterday . I bought a 2l of milk and dropped it in the store. Yes smokes do cost alot up here in canada.

#6 ·
whats fun with people like that is to egg them on, rev your engine, nod your head etc... let the tear off and fly down the road and dont even follow them... just put along and hope the happen to get spotted by a cop, but if nothing else it'll piss them off.

#8 ·
Dude Ive street raced since Im allowed to drive. Got my licence when I was 16 Im 20 now and Ive gotta say street racing is sometimes more exiting and much better than racing the track or the quarter mile. I love it specially when we do it on the Highway. You know what we do sometimes when we are on wur way back from the track and were on the highway we race.
One of us goes ahead to see who wins and the others stay back and slow down holding off the traffic. So the ones that will race can slow down and get to a good rolling speed when they floor it we floor it behind them and then we do it over and over again till we get of the highway the we just stop at a light and we all raced against each other.

How we do it on the highway. Well like this:

1 or 2 people go on ahead to tell who wins and make sure there are no cops after they give us a signal the ones who race move to the middle of the formation and the rest of us stay behind. For the ones in the middle to slow down and get to a good gear and rolling speed the ones in the back block all the lanes and slow down to hold of traffic behind us and give the ones who race some space and clearance then when they floor it we floor it behind them then we keep on going we change racers and we go on and on doing the same thing till we get of the highway. IT'S FUN AS HELL. And you see some pretty good races too.

To me street racing is more exiting more fun and more challenging than racing the quarter mile or the track. That's my opinion.

#11 ·
Yeah, it's just not worth it for anyone involved.

Your life is worth more than a couple seconds of cheap thrills. And even if you don't value your own life, there's absolutely no excuse for endangering those around you with such a worthless stunt.

Even if you come out ahead, all you'd win is the repsect of some 17 yr old in his mom's M3.

#15 ·
Street racing may be fun for some of ya. Dont know why it gets you off though. If you need excitement, how about building a rally car. Yeah yea, its expensive, but hell, you go as fast as you can on and off road trying to make the best time. Some day, I will rally....not as a profession though I dont think.

Racing from a roll...yeah Ive done it, and have won races...but never felt like I REALLY won...even if it was my 2000 GAGT1 vs 00ish Jetta whatever whatever. At the track its fair. Reaction time to the lights, shifting etc.

Just my POV though.

#16 ·
Focus racer S2, street racing is one thing but people like you who hold up traffic should not be alowed to drive. What if there is an emergancy? Someone in the crowd of people you are holding back is in labor, or sick. If you are going to race on the street do it on empty roads or dont do it at all. I do race other places than the track but just when there are no other people involved.

I am not trying to be an ass but in emergancies an ambulance does not need to weave through traffic, it needs a straight shot.

#17 ·
Hexx said:
Street racing may be fun for some of ya. Dont know why it gets you off though. If you need excitement, how about building a rally car. Yeah yea, its expensive, but hell, you go as fast as you can on and off road trying to make the best time. Some day, I will rally....not as a profession though I dont think.

Build a rally car... wtf??! People do that as a profession and it takes a ton of skill. You don't just hop in your and start driving around a dirt track at 100mph.

Besides street racing is completely free if you don't get caught. And i strongly encourage racing a closed street with no traffic. At least if something goes wrong it happens to me, not some random person driving home.

#18 ·
popecruz said:
Build a rally car... wtf??! People do that as a profession and it takes a ton of skill. You don't just hop in your and start driving around a dirt track at 100mph.

Besides street racing is completely free if you don't get caught. And i strongly encourage racing a closed street with no traffic. At least if something goes wrong it happens to me, not some random person driving home.
I KNOW people do that as a profession. I was saying, you dont have to. You could spend a season or two doing it, etc etc. As for skill...yes, it does take skill....thats why I set people up to that challenge instead of straight line street racing. 1/4 mile racing is good and all....but why not do something that involves on the fly thinking for more than a 1/4 mile?

Street racing on a closed road isnt bad at all...I would highly suggest this if any racing on the street at all.

I just still dont get the "from the roll" approach. Even if the person is driving an EVO and cant launch, whatever, its his ass not mine. I shouldnt have to give him a handicap because he has a hard time from 0-60 to get traction.

#19 ·
^^ people go from a roll to see whos faster at certain speeds. The wrx runs a similar quarter mile as the srt-4, but from a roll the srt4 will smoke it stock vs stock. Its just a means of seeing whos faster at what point. Plus if you're on the freeway racing, are you gonna slow down to a stop? no lol.

#20 ·
popecruz said:
^^ people go from a roll to see whos faster at certain speeds. The wrx runs a similar quarter mile as the srt-4, but from a roll the srt4 will smoke it stock vs stock. Its just a means of seeing whos faster at what point. Plus if you're on the freeway racing, are you gonna slow down to a stop? no lol.
from the guy above it sounds like they would stop traffic just to race...so stopping on the highway you could do that [rolleyes]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.