Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Homemade Ram-Air Install

9K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Sniper Focus 
#1 · (Edited)
Homemade Ram-Air Install Pics added

So...just got done fabricating and installing my homemade ram-air kit. I made a new radiator flow plate (black plastic plate under radiator brace) out of 22 gauge sheetmetal. It was an exact fit and installed in all of the stock spots. I then bought a rectangular funnel made out of thin galvanized steel (almost feels like tin), a 4" to 3" adapter, 3" flex hose for intake piping, and of course worn clamps. Got everything bolted up (funnel bolts directly to flow plate and flex hose bends in stock spots, just a few inches longer), and took it out for a test drive. I had a 180 lb. passenger this time as compared to the runs without the ram-air. Here are my results-All runs are dead stop blasts to 90mph and back to 0mph.

No Ram-Air=(First Run)Intake Box Temp-102
Engine Temp (taken at valve cover)-184
Header Temp-345
(Second Run)Intake Box Temp-98
Engine Temp-187
Header Temp-372
(Third Run)Intake Box Temp-105
Engine Temp-186
Header Temp-378
With Ram-Air Installed=(First Run)Intake Box Temp-74
Engine Temp-168
Header Temp-314
(Secong Run)Intake Box Temp-76
Engine Temp-168
Header Temp-333
(Third Run)Intake Box Temp-76
Engine Temp-178
Header Temp-353
So as you all can see, the ram-air definetly dropped the temperature, sometimes drastically, all around, and it also stabilized alot more. It feels like there is more mid-range power, take that for what it is. But all in all a pretty good mod. Good alternative to a cold air kit, in my opinion, and cheaper. Let me know what you all think. I can e-mail pics if wanted.

See less See more
#27 · (Edited)
I did the same thing but with a plastic flex tube. I notice a huge difference in throttle repsonce, especially on cool nights. it was about 50 degrees tonight when I was driving home and I popped the hood when I got home after work to see if the intake was cool not. The tubing was cold all the way to the trottle body and the actual filter was really cold(I have the tube fed to my cone filter). But I have driven in the rain many times and never had issue yet, the only thing I knotice was I have to clean the dirt out of the box I made for the cone filter to sit in, but thats no biggie.

Heres a few pics of mine

All in all I would recommend for any one to do this, its a great mod.

#28 ·
b16sir1991 said:
I did a VERY similar test with a short ram, and real cai, and my ram air with the svt airbox and a K&N. My results were very similar, here is a couple pics:

It uses a 3" tube that goes up to the rear part of the svt snorkle which just happens to about 3" and used 3" aluminum ducting (rigid type)
Where did you get that inlet piece? The Snorkel?

#30 ·
Only way to tell if it is doing its job is datalog the intake air temps with stock and your made parts with in 30 of each other tested back to back

My guess is most doing this dont have a 180 deg thermostat and tune and that with a drop in filter is going to do more then a ram air set up , am i wrong ?

Tom

#31 ·
Wow, would of never thought this thread would come back up. I took the ram air off the car about a year and a half ago. The metal scoop and all went to the recycle bin. The tubing although it worked was not very robust and ended up tearing at the connectors and would continuosly blow off the scoop. I datalogged a while back with and without the part connected but just the intake air temp sensor, speed, long term fuel trim, short term fuel trim and maf iirc. There were substantial differences in intake temps and maf volume both depended upon speed. Roughly 10% to 20% on intake temps (depending on environmental conditions). I‘m sorry I dont remember numbers for maf or for ltft but it did throw the numbers off. IIRC the car had a tendency to go slightly rich while sitting still and slightly lean while moving. It did impact fuel mileage some under a mostly controlled observence. Wish I had the numbers on this since the topic came back up. It would be nice to have something tangible to share with everyone on here. I also think the part could have benefited hugely with one of the many respected tuners help. Since there was some interest in this again, I may take a stab at a custom plastic piece or possibly carbon fiber. It would be a while though, my full time job does not afford me the luxury of tinkering very often and I‘m in the middle of remodeling my house. Since I'm doing most of the work without many subs that eats up much of my free time. I always wondered if radon had an impact on the scoop because of where I mounted it, lol. The things we think of sometimes. Thanks to everyone for being so awesome on here![ffrocks]

#34 ·
Not an SVT but I will eventually be doing something similar. Will use a duct to pick up air from the front bumper openings and channel it to a 3" tube which will then transition to the 2.5" normal pipe which should help increase velocity as it reaches the maf. Tubing will be insulated to prevent heat sink from the engine. I have measured the the temps of a sri I had and the tube itself averaged 135℉-140℉ along with the filter element. All just absorbing that engine compartment heat.

#40 ·
This looks to be the easiest and quickest way to do it.

Nice job Sniper. The dremel and I have an appointment!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.