Focus Fanatics Forum banner

"new" 2012 sel hatch - Partial newmission mod installed?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kona blue sel hatch 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2012 sel hatch from a toyota dealershship that has a non ffv engine. My first tank resulted in a mere 28 mpg and the engine gave off a strange low tone after the automatic tranny shifted. I opened the hood for the first time on thursday. The car had a k&n drop. I took the filter out and noticed that a large hole had been cut out of the air box and an open four inch hose was under the box. It looked like someone had attempted or had done the newmission mod mentioned in this forum. But I did not see where the hose would get air on the inlet side because there were no holes or slots cut in the grill. Where does the hose go to get air.?

I stuck the hose into the air box and the car does seem to run smoother. If I fix/complete the newmision mod, what is the comparison to stock? Mpg increase? Hp increase? Water or dirt issues?

I need to decide quickly if I need to take car back to dealer so I don't have time to read through all the forums and comments. Any quick replies will be greatly appreciated.

Btw, she is FAST!

Look forward to hearing from the FFs.

#4 ·
Remove the bottom tray pieces first to gain access. Then you will be able to see how it's attached. From what I remember as I did mod more than two years ago it has tabs that clip in that have to pry out. I thought I was going to break it taking it out but didn't. I can be a little stubborn. I removed mine and drilled holes in it around 1/2" in the beginning, but later just left it out after I added a brake duct scoop with screening. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.