Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The Aussie Focus ROCKS!!!!!!

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  beowulf 
#1 ·
Yeah baby!!!! First to sign up and first to activate!!!!!

I just wanna say that the Ford Focus is BY FAR the best small/medium car in Australia and the world, and anyone who buys one will know judging by the smile it puts on your face every time you turn into a corner or walk past it when it's parked... or drag that Astra at the lights... [:D] ... or just dream about it when ur not near it...

I still love pulling up at service stations and at the lights and hearing the following...

"Hey mate, nice car, does it go well?" or "hey, i heard those Focuses are pretty good". Too bloody right mate! Smile. Rev to 3000, put into first and dump it... smile as they wonder in awe and see that little blue Ford badge racing away....

Machine Silver 2003 Focus Zetec, manual, 2 door, with K&N Panel Filter and 2003 engine management factory upgrade, ST170 side indicator lenses.

Matty

#3 ·
Not sure mate

Well judging by my setup, not as fast as I'd like!! I'm running the stock 16 inchers and standard suspension... which promotes a very healthy but very controllable amount of lift-off oversteer when you try.

There's a great second gear corner near Sydney Domestic Airport where you can barrell up the road at about 50km/h into a corner that's over 2 lanes wide but with no line markings, and judging by experience it'll hold a rather sidways Focus Zetec quite comfortably!!! a sharp corner at 50km/h might not sound like much but it is!! Otherwise (funnily enough) near the airport there's a great section of road where I initiated about 3 mates in my car by showing them how a Zetec will comfortably hit 130 around a corner and still be controlled and still accelerating hard (with 4 passengers mind you!!) The smiles said it all!!!!

Love my car. What bout you? Got a Focus?

#4 ·
About to be a focus or subaru impreza owner. I testdrove the 1.6 AT 4dr Comfort. Stupid name but that's what its called in Singapore. Was very impressed by the way it handled. During the test drive, the salesman told me not to brake at the sharp corner and just swing the car. I think my speed was about 60km/h. The car handled very well, hugging onto the road. Have been window shopping and test drove subaru impreza, honda civic, honda city, skoda octavia. The honda sucks. Skoda was a gentleman's car. Only Impreza and Focus appeal to me. I drove the Impreza over a hump at 80km/h. Cornering is very good as it's an AWD. I'm leaning towards the Focus right now only because its got better fuel consumption.

#5 ·
Buy the Focus!!!!!!!

Hey that's great Regent!! I recommend the manual beyond ANY AT, but obviously if you can't drive a manual then the auto is better than nothing!!!!

As for the two, AWD does have it's advantages but a car that handles as well as the Focus really doesn't fall that far behind the AWD. Remember that grip and handling are two different things. The AWD might have better grip, but the Focus most probably handles much better due to it's sophisticated Control Blade fully independent rear suspension.

Honda certainly has lost that edge they used to have, probably letting their cars get too American, lost the Euro taste and appeal.

As for styling, I personally prefer the compact, unique and European look of the Focus over the somewhat ugly Impreza styling!! Both cars would be a great buy though!!! Good luck in your decision and please let us know which you choose!!!!

All the best,
Matt

#8 ·
hell yeah!!!

Not yet mate, there is no Focus Owner's Club as yet in Oz, the car's only been out since Ocotber last year...!

But I'm going to join one that seems to be getting underway by the end of the year. If by December there isn't one, I'll start it myself. How are the English ones run, are they a busines? Coz I'd be overjoyed to make money out of it, even if it was just a little bit!!!!!

#10 ·
RegentMotors said:
drove the Impreza over a hump at 80km/h. Cornering is very good as it's an AWD.
I understand that the AWD Impetza is a great car, however, cornering compared with Foci? There is no comparison. Many times ive been egg'd on by rex's on a short straight, only to find them about 2 car lengths behind after the straight became a corner. They kill me on the straight - corners - nup.

#12 ·
What Resty described is a common problem - not enough straight line speed to be competitive. First car where engine mods will be out ranking exterior mods, for me.

I know I won't be stopping until I can outrun any car in it's class. Brilliant car otherwise.

Cheers....... Tim

#13 ·
Yeah lol, that WAS 130 km/h which is a healthy 80 mph or so. And I'm with Tim, engine mods all the way

#14 ·
Hey guys sorry to bust in your chat. I am actually in Missouri, United States. But I was wondering if any of you live in Perth? My Fiance' and I are going to get married in Perth next and I was hoping some of you might be able to Private Message me with some sights we should go see. We are not into the Typical Touristy stuff we wanna see Australia and its poeple. Thank you for help in advance. And hopefully any of you in Perth, in our stay there maybe we can get togather for a beer and trade focus stories.

Thanks agian.

#15 ·
I don't know of anyone in the Focus scene in Australia in Perth at the moment, but I'll ask around. Too bad you weren't coming to Sydney, would love to take you round and show you the place!

If I find any Perth owners, I'll get them to PM you, but I don't know of any yet, sorry!

Tim

#16 ·
We are planning two weeks. So we will probably head back over to the east coast on the second week. Were going to be in Sydney at some point. But not sure how long or when yet. For only two weeks, there is waaayyy to much to see. Australia is SO large and there is just way to much to see. Not to mention I have to check out some of the Aussie cars while I am there. And maybe pick up a couple of parts for my Focus to send back home.

I know I am getting off topic So I am going to start another thred if you guys dont.

Thank you.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.