Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Project Cerin

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Sith Akeyn 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up a 2005 Focus ZX4 yesterday for $700. Engine runs like a top with 125k on the odometer but it needs a fuel pump (PO already had the tank pulled! Woot!) Towed it 38 miles with a control arm from a 2004 model on the passenger side. They are EXACTLY the same EXCEPT for the fact that the knuckle pin is about 1/4" smaller in diameter, so it just falls out of the knuckle. Was able to use some steel wire to hold it in and get it on the trailer. It even held ALL the way to my driveway, but it did NOT like turning the car in reverse and snapped. I was surprised it made it that far anyways =p

Repairs & Improvements Schedule:
Control arm [DONE]
Fuel pump [DONE]
Body Panels
Wheels & Tires
Alignment
Dents & paint
Windsheild
Full brake job
Sound System
Ram air intake

I'll get more detailed on Sunday when i have some daylight and time. Unless I'm grabbing parts at the local junkyards =][cheers]

I love bringing cars back to life XD haven't bought one working vehicle yet! Wrenching is a great way to get to know your vehicle.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Picking up 2 front fenders, a hood, driver side door, hood latch, 4 16" steelies, and 4 wheel well plastics tomorrow with any luck. Any REALLY GOOD luck and I can find some alloy hubs. Also looking for the plastic bits that fill the foglight spots in the front bumper. Ideally I can get the foglights too but i'm not holding my breath XD

Also going to be sourcing some UA/M6373 paint. Likely 16oz

#3 ·
Hey man, looks great!
It's really hard to find the MK1.5 Focus for the price you did! Good luck on the "restoration" you've got going on here. Personally, I like the Duratec more than the Zetec. Maybe you'll convert too.

#4 ·
Thanks ^^ They way i see it, I can spend around 3 grand before it'll cost what a stock zx4 will cost. BUT it'll also be mine, I'll know the car and its quirks, and I've got room to customize without having to throw good parts off the car that i paid some solid cash for. Between all the body parts I need, and the other things here and there, I'll probably be spending roughly 1-1.5k making the car nice. If I started off with a $4,000 car I would still need to chunk some change at it to get it to the same level, but it would be less work (but again, i enjoy the work ^^) Things I WON'T buy have legit frame damage, or blown motors above scrap value. But at $700 if it all turns into a bomb I can part it out and recoupe. Not that I want to do that! I would say that the interior is 10/10, exterior panels 4/10, engine 7 or 8/10 and suspension is unknown but nothing looks for feels bad so far XD

Don't the 2005 models have duratec? My fiancee's 2004 has a SPI 2.0 so it's a timebomb but it's only at 100k right now

#5 ·
^^^ Yes the 2005 models have the Duratec engine. These things are really tough!!! I accidentally ran mine out of oil once (the light had just come on when i shut it off and coasted to the side of the freeway) and the car still runs like brand new now that I fixed the leak and refilled the oil. Granted, my car is an 05 with less than 37K on it, so it should run like brand new!

#6 ·
I've rebuilt my fair share of engines, quality jobs too - I'm sure if the engine has an issue I can get to it XD transmissions however... [dunno]

pretty much everything that's wrong with this car is cosmetic skin damage on the outside (and the fact that it's on 4 freaking spare tires. GOTTA change that crap XD). Once I get the fuel pump in, possibly tonight, I'll give a bigger update. Also considering removing all of the proprietary fuel line connection BS that ford puts on and making it all standard hose and clamp style.

#7 ·
It's aliiiive!!! After finding 5 separate wiring and component issues for the fuel system alone, the fuel pump now primes, shuts off, and then is modulated thereafter by the fuel pump driver as it should be. Celebrated by changing out the FACTORY plugs (factory plugs at 125k? Even iridiums are pushing it at that. .066 gap XD) Pictures tomorrow

Any word on if ram air intakes are better than the stock 'lifetime' air filter setup? I can build one for around $65 from spectre (properly sized etc etc)

#8 ·
Good to hear it's finally up & running right!

P.O. didn't do you any favors with the botched tank removal for pump replacement.

PZEV intake isn't an issue 'till the filter fills up, then you can do the DIY setups with just a filter. (Some do it short ram, some make it a cold air by putting it on the bottom)

MAF tube & filter make an SRI, hooking it to the bottom where it is now makes a CAI.

Now it's time for those wheels!

Cheers

#9 ·
Thanks for the info, I might do the intake anyways XD not being able to clean or change a filter REALLY bothers me. I want to feel loving to my car XD

Went to the yard today and they have no 2005 doors that haven't been beaten through by a semi truck. Looking to see if the 2004- sedan doors are the same and it's promising so far.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...2&search=true&year=2004&make=Ford&model=Focus
VS.
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...2&search=true&year=2005&make=Ford&model=Focus

Got the car and got it in running shape for... $815. [twothumbs] Now for... $500 in rims and tires... $400 in body work... $250 in glass... $200 in audio equipment... $250 in brake parts (Rear brake does NOTHING and fronts have about 3mm of wear on the rotors)... $40 in gas and I'm done! [wrenchin][wrenchin][wrenchin]

Parts I can HOPEFULLY grab from the junkyard:

Full door assembly (Unclear)
Fenders (unlikely!)
Fog light hole covers (unlikely!)
Passenger fender splash guard (very likely)

#10 ·
A week of working on my focus

Update time! Car is running like a top, 100%.

Changed plugs to Autolite 104's, Replaced all brake components on the car other than brake lines and master cylinder, corrected all the fuel pump wiring boogers, installed my radio and 1 speaker (would have done all 4 but san antonio decided to get typhooned on), replaced passenger side fender, replaced the driver side window, mounted some proline wheels with starfire 205/50/16's, and attempted to remove a windshield in the junkyard and found out WHY it isn't a diy job... Picture time!

Nothing like shiny new drums ^^

Radio stuff that i got. Totaled out to around $170

And they fit perfectly as 6x8's

Fuel pump nasties covered back up:

New fuel pump (pics or it didn't happen?):

Replaced borked fender:

Other exterior pictures for the record before i get to body work. These will show you exactly what i'm working with here =p :

Messy!

The interesting part will be fixing up the skin on the a-pillar. The damage has not effected the door fit, windshield leakage, or bent in any way the actual structural part of the a-pillar.

New shoes:

#11 ·
So I piddled around with my instrument cluster and here are the results:

Installed 921 leds into the 74 sockets after modification, painted over what I didn't want lighting up, and used acetone to remove the green tint stuff behind the numbers

Also installed some switchback LEDS for my park/turn signals. When turn signal is on, it goes from white to orange to white to orange. When turn signal only is on, it's just a turn signal. When parking light only is on, it's just a parking light. And i don't have an orange bulb just obviously chillin' in my headlight. Really easy to install as well. Cost about $30, took around 30 minutes

Now that I've practiced on my nasty non-tach cluster, i can do it 100% right and NOT break my odometer screen when i get my tach cluster in the mail (if you're looking for one there are a couple on ebay 05-07 for $70, can find other year models cheaper)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.