Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Another intake thread... warranty questions.

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  DilSVT 
#1 · (Edited)
Another intake thread... brand and warranty questions.

I know CAI definitely void the warranty, but that dosnt really matter to me because I would never consider getting one (I drive ALL year round, including busting snow drifts sideways to get into my driveway...lol)

I have spent the last 2 hours reading intake threads ( [:eek:] *yawn*) and am still confused about warranty problems. As far as I understand a drop in filter does NOT void the warranty, but anything else will? (such a short ram?) I really am not worried about the power gains, as I know it will be minimal if any with the drop in, but I really want some intake sound. I was considering the ITG or the KN in box, and then also removing the little resonator. Does anyone know what kind of sound this produces compared to a short ram?

I know most things for warranty they can blame on anything...saying that because the intake was changed it could have caused this which caused this and etc. So if a short ram does void the intake I think I might just stick with a drop-in. Are there any other choices besides KN for 30 ish and the ITG for 50ish?

While reading the 2 thousand threads on intakes, someone said they gained 5 hp by switching to somthing else FROM an ITG filter (im guessing this was on a short ram or a CAI) which makes me kind of reluctant to spend 50 on the ITG in-box.

I guess if the short ram setups dont affect warranty anymore than the drop-ins, I might consider one. How often do you need to clean the filters? I am just worried I will turn paranoid and check the filter every time I park the car lol.

*goes to sleep and stops typing novel-length threads*

Thanks in advance guys [thumb]

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to ask your dealer. My service writer told me that ANY aftermarket intake including K&N drop in will void the warranty on the MAF. But that was the only thing it would void. It all depends on the service writer or mechanic. Some will never void a warranty because they are tuners too, some will void one because you added a body kit. It varies.

I have a AEM cai and I cleaned mine last month for the first time since may 04. It wasn't too bad either - after snow, sand and all.

#3 ·
OK, once again, a CAI or SRI will NOT void your warranty! I have done my research and called a few ford service managers and found out that it won't. If you had a problem for instance with your T/B or MAF, thay have to prove it was due to the intake. I have had my car in for service with my CAI and never had an issue, and they have replaced my T/B twice because of them "going bad" for whatever reason and they never even mentioned my CAI. Not trying to be an ass or anything, just passing on what I have learned :)

Oh, btw, don't bother asking the service writer questions like that, go directly to the service manager. If he or she is competent and knowledgable, they will give you a straight and correct answer ... key word here being "IF" LOL

#5 ·
Ya, they have to prove it was the aftermarket part that was directly responsible for the problem. You definitly have the leg up when it comes to all that, so don't worry about the SRI/CAI [:)]

#6 ·
ok thats good to know. Does anyone know what the sound difference is between removing the resonator and haing a short ram? I am still slightly worried with a short ram that in heavy rain or driving through puddles somthing will get splashed up under the hood? (or are they sealed well enough it is not a problem?)

#8 ·
There's no way water is getting into an SRI unless you are driving through a river and by then, you have more important issues at hand [pray]

#9 ·
ok, I just wasnt sure how sealed the hood and engine compartment were.

The only that thing that goes in rivers are my ATV's and lifted 4x4's, for some reason I dont see the svt as doing too well in the mud lol.

#10 ·
As far as rain/water issues, I have the CAI and I live in Houston where it rains quite a bit and I have never had a problem with water getting sucked up into the engine. I even went so far as to remove the intake after driving in heavy rain and the inside was nice and dry, no water got in it. You would have to submerge it in water for it to suck it up, I just stay away from deep puddles and such. Just fyi :)

#11 ·
Re: Another intake thread... brand and warranty questions.

R00ST650 said:
I know CAI definitely void the warranty, but that dosnt really matter to me because I would never consider getting one (I drive ALL year round, including busting snow drifts sideways to get into my driveway...lol)

I have spent the last 2 hours reading intake threads ( [:eek:] *yawn*) and am still confused about warranty problems. As far as I understand a drop in filter does NOT void the warranty, but anything else will? (such a short ram?) I really am not worried about the power gains, as I know it will be minimal if any with the drop in, but I really want some intake sound. I was considering the ITG or the KN in box, and then also removing the little resonator. Does anyone know what kind of sound this produces compared to a short ram?

I know most things for warranty they can blame on anything...saying that because the intake was changed it could have caused this which caused this and etc. So if a short ram does void the intake I think I might just stick with a drop-in. Are there any other choices besides KN for 30 ish and the ITG for 50ish?

While reading the 2 thousand threads on intakes, someone said they gained 5 hp by switching to somthing else FROM an ITG filter (im guessing this was on a short ram or a CAI) which makes me kind of reluctant to spend 50 on the ITG in-box.

I guess if the short ram setups dont affect warranty anymore than the drop-ins, I might consider one. How often do you need to clean the filters? I am just worried I will turn paranoid and check the filter every time I park the car lol.

*goes to sleep and stops typing novel-length threads*

Thanks in advance guys [thumb]
There is the Pipercross drop-in. It's a foam one like the ITG, but it's $40 - ten bucks cheaper. I like the foam ones better than cotton gauze. McNews has it.

In the other thread, you read about some guy who put a Pipercross cone filter on the end of a FS Cool-Flo short ram, in place of the ITG one it comes with. Claims he got 5 hp. Can't say, but I would not see a reason for that happening - both are foam filters.

I will be getting a Cool-Flo, because the fact that it has a heat shield makes a lot of sense to me.

#12 ·
I have never had a problem with my cai and water, I even take it into car washes that spray the underside.

As far as the warranty, I know they have to prove it. But here is a senario - (even though I have never heard of this happening, but won't say it can't) You put too much oil on your filter(for those filters that do) and it gets sucked in and f's up the MAF.

#14 ·
Short and sweet! Ready! The dealer has to prove that the CAI caused the malfuction, other than that no it does not void!!! Just find a cool dealer that wont hassle you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.