Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Upgrading my 2011 Ford Focus SES (With Pictures)

12K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  TriFocal_Discord 
#1 ·
A couple months ago I bought a 2011 Ford Focus SES (Silver) and I am looking to put some money and upgrades (appearance and performance) into it. These include a front spoiler, rear wing, cold air intake, a different exhaust, the SCT Livewire TS Performance Tuner and Monitor, and last, but not least, tinted windows. If anybody has any suggestions on what brand I should go about getting for any of this stuff please let me know. Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
well intake you can go with steeda, CFI, or FSworks, exhaust i would recomend FSworks performance exhaust also FSworks sells alot of motor upgrades not cheep but they do sell them plus a complete turbo setup as well i belive

#4 ·
I definitely trust that you know what you are talking about, but i just wanted to confirm your suggestion. Last night I was talking to a friend and he suggested that I get a magnaflow exhaust and to go to a company called k&n for cold air intake. He continued on to say that they are not the cheapest but the durability and performance is unmatched by most competitors. Should I listen to him and go with what he thinks or would I just be better off following your advice and getting those parts? The only reason I ask this is because I don't want to buy something and then later on down the road say something like "oh man, I should have gone with this instead."

#3 ·
Should I go with that or a different one my friend recommended?

I definitely trust that you know what you are talking about, but i just wanted to confirm your suggestion. Last night I was talking to a friend and he suggested that I get a magnaflow exhaust and to go to a company called k&n for cold air intake. He continued on to say that they are not the cheapest but the durability and performance is unmatched by most competitors. Should I listen to him and go with what he thinks or would I just be better off following your advice and getting those parts? The only reason I ask this is because I don't want to buy something and then later on down the road say something like "oh man, I should have gone with this instead."

#5 ·
In regards to any exterior parts (we carry front spoilers, rear spoiler, and carbon fiber hood for your vehicle), i can offer you the lowest pricing available.

In regards to K&N, they are a very well established company, and make a wide variety of filters for all makes and models. Same can be said for Magnaflow and their exhaust products.

FSWerks* focuses solely on Ford Focus/Fiesta platforms (though their parent company focuses on VW), So they are more knowledgeable to your specific platform.

Good luck with your build!

#9 ·
Personally I would just get a drop in K&n Filter/tint the windows and be done with it. It snows were you live so I would buy a new set of wheels/tires so those nice rims don't get all messed up(just assuming). Also I would get some nice All weather mats, that's just me though. Then later on I would get a nice deep sounding exhaust.
I came to the same dilemma, I have a focus 03 2.3 but it was an auto. I tinted windows, added new headlights/xenon but in the end of the day I bought an svt. Love the svt and once I get enough money I'm going to fix the nasty fender/remove front license bracket, repaint car then look into Force induction once my new clutch goes out.

#13 ·
Thank you! I have recently plasti dipped the rims black as well as the "FOCUS" letters on the back. I plan to get my windows tinted some time soon

Thank you! I have recently plasti dipped the rims black as well as the "FOCUS" letters on the back. I plan to get my windows tinted some time soon and then start on the intake and exhaust. I will be sure to keep you updated on this thread with pictures as I go! One last question. For the intake, should it be a k&n COLD AIR intake? Also for the exhaust, should it just be a new exhaust or a whole new exhaust system? Sorry for so many questions. I just wanna get this stuff done correctly before I start cruising with other focuses.

#11 ·
Do not get the k&n for your car. I had one on my 10 and I was let down. I've had good luck with k&n. I've had the intake on my truck for like 6 years now but the one on my focus just didnt hold up. The plastic nipple for the pcv broke and I couldnt find the right replacement and my car never did run right after that. I switched to Fswerks and never looked back. Check out their site, you wont be let down. http://www.fswerks.com/

#12 ·
I also have a FS Werks CAI, I have am mk3 but that mod was the first mod I ever purchased from FS Werks nothing short of pleased with the quality and cool looks are always a plus, ive heard k&n is a hit or miss really depends on what car you have, for the mk3s I've heard they are mediocre at best so I can imagine them being any better for another focus I feel like k&n focuses more on the main stream stuff...like mustangs lol everyone and their mom has a k&n for their stangs

#20 ·
Louder is not always better. People will argue till they are blue in the face that a resonator decreses horsepower, and simple fact of truth is; its not provable that it does because there is such a little decrese. I had another auto with a long tube header and only a dynomax bullet as the muffler and I will NEVER make the mistake of a loud car again. The intake would be purely for looks by the way. I run a second gen styled "Stealth" Air Box mod and I am sure that you wouldn't be able to tell by sound or power V.S. an aftermarket one. Our cars only make 140HP at the crank, they don't exact need much air, besides the fact that its suction and can only take so much air.

#21 ·
There really isn't much. I would personally think that a lip spoiler would look great but I have not been able to find one.

Here you go: 2010 SES Auto (Which we can assume if fully optioned like mine, leather, subwoofer in trunk, 17" Wheels, moon roof, heated seats, ect) with FSWerks CAI 9.87 Seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnVSXnbTXM

Vs mine Stock with the intake mod, on Pirelli Run-Flats (NOT a light tire by any means)
Other factors do exist, but for sake of arguement and sound we can ignore that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZNC1MSg9E

8.9-9.0 seconds

#22 ·
There really isn't much. I would personally think that a lip spoiler would look great but I have not been able to find one.

Here you go: 2010 SES Auto (Which we can assume if fully optioned like mine, leather, subwoofer in trunk, 17" Wheels, moon roof, heated seats, ect) with FSWerks CAI 9.87 Seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnVSXnbTXM

Vs mine Stock with the intake mod, on Pirelli Run-Flats (NOT a light tire by any means)
Other factors do exist, but for sake of arguement and sound we can ignore that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZNC1MSg9E

8.9-9.0 seconds

There is a lip spoiler. Go to the 3d carbon site. Thats the kit Im going to get

#26 ·
Your sure feisty for 13 posts. If that's what he wants that is what he wants. If he asked what should I do to make my car the fastest for the cheapest I would of recommended nitrous. Since he asked a DIRECT question about an intake exhaust and spark plugs I/We gave him his answer. If you even were around for more than 13 post's you would know that I am 100 percent against bolt-on's. Since your the mod queen of second gens lets get a run down of your car?

#27 ·
[?]

You registered here four months before I did. I bought my car five months before I registered, I didn't see the need to register before I did. A quick search of your earlier posts it's apparent we bought our cars within a week or so of each other, so don't talk down to me on account of my post count. I haven't seen a big need to post a lot over the past year-and-a-half or so.

My Focus has ZERO "performance" mods, the cost-to-benefit ratio is like nil; I have another car that I threw away a bunch of money on for that sort of thing. It's not as if I'm new to the Ford world.

Your post on page 2 says it all, so I don't know why you take issue with my post.

Unless you like being that loud obnoxious pecker swinging guy, then by all means swing your 140HP nads.

#28 ·
The copper plugs is the only thing I would recommend, there is dyno numbers for it somewhere, I think it through down 5 extra horses. Fords love copper, ran copper in all of my Fords.

I think we are in the same idea. I don't know how much power my Focus puts down but its probably close to 160 at the wheels while staying near stock in sound. If he was looking for a quieter benefiting exhaust the rear lunch box delete would be my recommendation. Might not make the 3HP like Ford claims it does but it adds a little note without being loud. As seen here with mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvre850ZCI

I apologize for jumping down your throat. Can't express emotion off the internet hard to pick up on social cues.

#31 ·
I was inspired by this thread, the thread I posted above, and The Duratec Spark Plug Sticky thread to swap my plugs. I happened to have seven Autolite 103s on the shelf. I guess they'll never experience the glory of being in a V8 now. [:eek:)]

I'm not that keen on going with the colder heat range, but it should take care of the minor detonation caused from loafing along uphill on a hot summer day.

#32 ·
My two cents. It's normal to pick a fuel efficient, reliable, cheaply-insured (relative), not fast or powerful car and then want to play with it. The focus is a good looking car, so that's another reason to buy one too. Most here are car guys/gals, and it's natural to want to improve a little here and there or personalize.

In regards to OP's aim, I'd say sure, get a quality intake and exhaust and some tinted windows. But make sure all maintenance is up to date and everything is in good condition first. I like the K&N drop in filters. If going with a CAI, make sure it's a real one, and getting enough cold air.

If going all out and modding your car, don't do so much as to regret it later in terms of money spent or lost practicality of the car. If it's a daily driver, you may not enjoy DDing it if you make it a race car lol. And, lastly, don't take short cuts or do things the wrong way if on a budget (i.e. don't cut springs, or get perf. springs, and then use stock shocks, etc.), or lower the car too much if DDing it on rough roads.

In my case, I bought a loaded '09 SES a few months ago. Changed oil/filter with a quality Synthetic meeting Ford approval spec. and a Ford Filter. Changed the man. tranny oil with Ford's synthetic juice, changed spark plugs to Ford's Iridium stock ones (since the car is stock and I like the longevity), got a K&N drop in from Rockauto this week and two other mounts (still gotta do). Oh, changed the hydraulic mount near the belt side on the engine. And have been fixing the grids at the back on the defroster (had 5 broken ones, down to two that are being stubborn). So I'm going over the car, issue by issue and resolving them all as I go. Inspected the car in my buddy's pit, the front and rear sway bar links are good and noticed the front has already been replaced with better ones (read here it's a common problem). Muffler looks ok at best...starting to begin a little rust bubble on the bottom rear. So when it gets worse, I'll upgrade to a stainless steel catback. That way I'm upgrading and replacing a bad part at the same time.

Well, this ended up much longer, but just sharing the way I tick, and personal experience.

edit: also did a *real* flush of the power steering sytem with fresh Mercon V fluid as specified, because the pump was a little noisy...oh and changed the idler and tensioner pulleys a few weeks ago. This goes with my belif of fix it and make it good before upgrades and mods.

#33 ·
OP, if you're looking to buy mods to hope to one day get your money back, don't do it. Tint the windows, throw a drop in filter and call it a day. Your car looks really nice as is.

If you want to mod for the fun of it all then I would start with an FSWerks exhaust (race or stealth which ever you prefer). From there get an FSW cai and finally a tune. Someone posted earlier that this will take you over $1000. That's very true and maybe you'll only get 10-15hp out of it. But if you're modding for the fun of it then who cares how much it cost? I guarantee you it'll make the car more fun to drive.

#37 ·
Time for my two cents. Your friend that told you to get a Magnaflow exhaust and a K&N intake is someone that says they know about cars because they watch Powerblock on Spike TV every weekend. It is the generic answer for "performance" and he would probably say the same thing if you told them you bought a Chrysler Sebring. Although Magnaflow sounds surprisingly decent on our cars, I just don't like their stuff. If you want performance modifications, the "trifecta" is best. Exhaust, intake, tune, just like you and others have said.

For exhaust, FSWerks should definitely be at the top of the list. For Darwin's sake, don't get the stealth. You pay more money to get a quieter system that is probably comparable or slightly better than stock. If you don't want any noise, then delete the lunchbox and leave the rest alone. A race system definitely is not loud, but if you aren't sure, just go with the street system.

For your intake, FSWerks is popular. I'd look at the CFM system that someone else already linked, I'd have probably bought that if it was on the market when I was looking for a CAI.

For your tune, pretty much either FSWerks or Tom. Both use SCT X3 flashers, but from what I see, Tom is more customer oriented and personable. He will definitely support you with tuning if you decide to make more major modifications.

Your car is putting down maybe 110 hp at the wheels. With these modifications, you should see maybe 10-20 hp increase on a good day. Let's face it, we don't have diesels and horsepower costs money. I had all of these modifications, plus a race header and put down 139 hp on a dyno. I was unsure of this number, as other people at the event who knew what numbers their cars made were getting substantially lower results. Other members of this forum told me it was probably closer to 150 hp or higher.

If you want to modify your suspension, the first modification you should do is the rear motor mount. CFM makes a very nice one that installs in literally 5-10 minutes. I have race bushings in mine, you might want street bushings. Mine vibrates a little bit, but it's not bad. I think you may have a rear swaybar, since you have an SES. If for some reason you do not, Steeda makes a rear swaybar kit so you can mount one. I just did this yesterday and it makes a great difference. They also make a 28 mm, but you should also upgrade your front swaybar to reduce the understeer you will get from such a large bar.

Those are pretty basic. Other modifications are coilovers/springs, brakes, turbo, more advanced motor work.

I don't know what the tint laws in New Jersey are, but just go legal. I had 5% tint and got a ticket for it, it is a pain in the ass to remove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.