Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Help with hesitation above 3000 rpm

13K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Mattdiem 
#1 · (Edited)
Overview:
I am working on my buddie's 2000 ford focus zx3 2.0l zetec dohc with a manual transmission. The clutch, fuel pump, fuel filter, o2 sensors, cat converter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil pack, pcv valve, pcv elbow, and the pcv tube have been replaced. I did a compression test and I got 190psi,188psi,189psi,190psi so the engine is healthy. I used motorcraft parts because I know these cars are picky.

Symptoms:
The car fires right up. Since I replaced all of these parts it idles smooth. If I am very gentle with the gas it drives fine as long as I do not go above 3000rpm. If I press the gas too hard it begins to shake violently and I get no power. If I go above 3000 rpm it feels like I hit a wall and the rpms bog down and I lose power. I have search all over the forums for help. ANY IDEAS!? Thank you.

Verdict: I had to update the car to the newer style fuel pump assembly. Thanks sleepyboy!

#3 ·
That is what I thought but it has recently been replaced within the last 10k miles because it would not start. Not by me but that is what my buddy is telling me. I changed everything else on the list myself. Do you think it could be failing already? Another thing to add is it is not throwing any codes. Is there a way to test the fuel pump?

#6 ·
I'd check the fuel pump then, most likely the sock on the fuel pump is full of trash. They redesigned the can that the pump sits in due to if clogging up if I remember right? It's been so long since we've seen this issue on the forum here since most of the cars that were effected were upgraded or fixed.

If you can get someone with a scanner or a programmer to see what your fuel pressure is that will tell you a lot. My car would run and drive but once you put a load on it or got above 3-4k rpm it the fuel pressure would drop off or become erratic.

#7 ·
I have a sct xcal so I will check that. I just was thinking that was not the issue because I thought it was changed! Would you stick with a motorcraft assembly or would a Carter's assembly work? There is over a $100 price difference on rockauto.com

#9 ·
fuel pump

totally agree start with the pump and replace filter, and sry to say but just because its new doesn't mean that its good. i once replaced the fuel pump on my sisters truck four times before i got a good one and they were all delfi $250 a pump luckily the manager at the parts store was cool and just warranted there for me. [angel]

and if the pump is good it could have pulled crap out of the tank clogging the filter happened on my 01 [xx(]

#13 ·
No not yet but considering it... I've never been to a car dealer for work in my life. But I'm getting to that point. I bought the vehicle from my father in law and have all his records. This car had been there for every oil change and had all sorts of work and TSB's done so I guess it got that firmware update. Anyway, I'm considering going in and letting them scan the shit out of it and maybe reflash. Just scared of insane prices.

#15 ·
Yes I finally fixed it. Fuel pump. I had to use a box cutter blade to cut the old bracket out. I then had to use a shop vac to clean out the tank. The car runs like it is brand new now.

#16 ·
For two days it ran perfect, then like flipping a switch, back to shitty. It was actually worse. Fell on its face a few times. Really seems like a fuel issue. I changed out the fuel pump and the sock attached to the pump was totally covered with brown crap. Anyway. No change. Didn't help. Wtf

#17 ·
Any trouble codes present?

SVT does not use the same fuel pump as a normal Focus, FYI. So odds are the parts store pump isn't correct (it doesn't have the required fuel flow volume) but will probably work ... I'm pushing more fuel than a SVT pump out of my update pump, so the potential is there.

A trouble code is really going to help here.
Could be DSI error, VCT error or ignition troubles. Need more info.

#18 ·
That's always been one of the things driving me crazy. Just like the op, no codes with this issue. I've been following and posting on a several forums about these similar types of stumble/miss, and read a bunch in the past. Most were never resolved or at least there was no follow up post with what the problem was, and some were fixed by things that didnt work for me. Here's the background info.... No work had been done to the car, wasn't a new tank of possibly bad gas. Was driving along one day and when leaving the next traffic light it started bucking and missing. Stalled when I pushed the clutch in. That was actually the worst. Started up fine and ran ok but had a part throttle cruising hesitation, that sort of progressed to a stumble only under load and only between 3000-4000 rpms. No cel at all.. Started changing and checking things and it's been better some days and really bad like today. Almost undriveable. So far I've replaced the coil, plugs, wires, the coil harness recall has been done and looks good, checked the coil capacitor, replaced tps, pcv valve, upstream oxygen sensor, and fuel filter. Found a cracked vacuum line, didn't help. Cleaned the maf. Cleaned and put back the vct solinoid. I guess it's working. The car was a slug with it unplugged, although I will say it wasn't missing when it was slow like that. I read that they usually snap off or leak if they fail. I did finally get a cel and some codes the other day. It stumbled really bad and stalled Was rolling and when I let the clutch out and refired the cel came on. I got sensor 1 lean condition, tps not agreeing with maf, and vct was retarded I think. Not sure which codes were real and which were me pulling harnesses and stuff. So far cel hasnt come back, and it's certainly bucking and missing. I've mostly read about the vct solinoid telling the tale of botched timing belt installs or vct gear springs snapping. Can they just start freaking out and causing issues? It's kind of pricey but I might have to try one. Next purchase for sure are new crank position and cam position sensors.
As far as the fuel pump goes I got it from rockauto. Your right, it's probably not the legit high flow svt focus. Although it was listed for the DOHC vin 5 motor, trying to research it was so annoying because every link was to an argument about what focus pump to put in a mustang. The specs showed it flow a shit-ton. More then the one I had in my mustang or grand national so I figure it might run. Lol. Anyway I can throw back in the stocker at some point if I have to since it wasn't the issue. Although it wasn't green on top or something like that I remember reading. Maybe it wasn't original. The one I put in was airtex 2386

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.