Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Alternate license plate mount?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  add lightness 
#1 ·
So the plates are coming in the mail this week for my new '11 SE, and unfortunately Maryland requires a front plate [gunfire] I don't want to use the recessed area in the bumper because drilling holes into your cars is stupid and luckily they haven't been drilled on this car yet.

Are there any aftermarket brackets for the S/SE that allow for a lower grille mount? Anyone have any tips for a DIY job, something better than zip ties? Picky, I know, but thanks for any input!

#2 ·
i've seen it before a bracket that mounts to the bottom of the bumper and you can fold the plate forward and it will slide back under the frnt bumper for when your showing the vehicle. dnt know where to find it but will look into it. and see if i can find it . but might be something worth looking into

#4 ·
Depending on your local law enforcement...
For my 1999 Contour SVT I placed the front (required in WI) license plate up in the front windshield, stuck up to the passenger side of the rear view mirror.
Had it there for 13 years.. 100,000 miles.. Several speeding tickets in those 100,000.. never a comment from ANY officer about my front plate.
Now I am also an old lady.. so maybe for young guys it may not go so well?
The top of my front plate slide up under the liner. and I cut off the bottom below the numbers.. So it really was sort of like a sunvisor...

Only ONE person ever commented about it, The dealer where I bought my new 2012. Which was out in the countryside.. vs my living in the 'big city'..

My new 2012 front plate I have painted it black with just the letters/numbers visible. So far two years like that no comments. and I know several cops have glanced at it without saying a word.
(I have indoor parking, and have to wait for the garage door to close, plus it is on a busy street, so cops have been stopped for the light, looking at me sitting waiting for traffic to clear etc with my front pointed at them...)

(I guess cops around here have more to do than annoy trivial law scoffers..)

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I'll just go with zip ties/wire/duct tape. There doesn't seem to be any brackets applicable to this car, since you're just supposed to bolt the thing right through your paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.