Focus Fanatics Forum banner

02 ZX3 Grinding Noise while in gear

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kodyston 
#1 ·
[dunno]Background: 02 ZX3 with 89k have replaced in the past year the following: Rear brakes, ebrake cable, idler pulley, serp belt, plugs, wires, complete tune up, water pump, timing belt, all three motor mounts, clutch slave cylinder ( the one under the dash), 3 complete clutches put in the past 6 months. Frist one lasted a week was bad set from O Riley’s. Plate just came apart at rivets, so unrelated.
Second one master cylinder started to leak (made a grinding noise shortly before it crapped the bed) and lost pedal (3 months about 6k), this was the replacement that O Riley’s gave me for the first one. So I hauled to a transmission shop and they put in a Ford OEM set works great now.

I have started to get a circular grinding sound ( almost like a caliper dragging on the rotor) when the car is in gear and not under power. You can give it gas and it does not make it. Take the car out of gear and it does not make it. It is very noticeable 3rd gear 35 to 40 mph. If i rev it past 4k and shift gears it will grind till I reengage the transmission. I started making the sound this morning when it was cold every time i put the clutch in, once it warmed up it only did it in gear.
Car does not vibrate, pull when you brake, the wheels dont have play in them (bad wheel bearing), knock when you turn or go over bumbs.

I had the wife take it back to the transmission shop and they told her nothing was wrong, I may have to take it myself and talk to these guys.

Is this transmission, wheel bearing, axle related? At my wits end with this thing. Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad synchros, particularly for third gear, are common on these. That would suck, especially given your clutch nightmare. It would mean dropping the tranny again and either rebuilding or replacing. Btw, the clutch master is the one under the pedal, and the slave is the one inside the transmission housing.

Not entirely sure of your description, though--doesn't make the noise under power but worst in 3rd from 35-40mph?

#3 ·
This is an odd one... The description doesn't sound like a synchro issue to me...

#5 ·
Carrier bearing maybe? If I had that I would check the front hub nut torque on both sides and tighten if needed and listen for a slight change (when it's loudest, change in pitch, etc..) Just a thought. I've seen brake pads be put on a little weird, and retainer pieces popping loose and making noises.

#6 · (Edited)
The noise is on decleration or costing while in gear. Diffently coming from the tranny. Gears could be backlashing on decelartion. Either way tranny has to come out again and guts rebuilt. Just think it may be easier to pick up a rebuilt one than tear mine open to find a bad gear or shaft in addtion to bearings and what not.

Thanks

Anyone got a line on a source for rebuilt trannys?

Anyone?

#12 ·
We'll see, I'm dropping mine beggining next month. The odd thing is and I'm not sure if it happened on yours, when I shift the rpms still climb 100-200 more - not sure if normal on the car.

I'm doing the tranny tear with a friend and I really do hope it's that. We thought it was a wheel bearing and even took it apart, to find that it's coming from the transmission. Which I find odd, since it shifts fine.

#13 ·
The odd thing is and I'm not sure if it happened on yours, when I shift the rpms still climb 100-200 more - not sure if normal on the car.
That's normal when the clutch is disengaged.

#15 ·
No Problem. I've heard if you put a lighter flywheel in your car it wont do it as much if at all. But, I'm not sure how true that is since I've never had an upgraded "lighter" flywheel before. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.