Focus Fanatics Forum banner

First road trip and pleasantly surprised by MPG

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  henryd1981 
#1 ·
Took the Focus from Dallas to San Angelo this past weekend. On the way there, the car computed 35.9 MPG while my math came out to 38.2 MPG. Heading home, the car computed 37.1 MPG while my math came out to 38.5 MPG. These numbers are pretty good considering the speed limit at least half the time was 75 MPH. Had a small tailwind at times, too.

My current odometer reading is a little over 4900 miles.

#2 ·
I've found that the speed matters less than how you drive it in these cars, I too enjoy really good highway mileage but I have to work hard at getting decent mileage in city traffic, sometimes I can pull around 26-27 but if I drive it the way I typically drive (groggy, grumpy, Dallas morning traffic type of driving) I get between 21 and 23 :\ It's very sensitive to how it gets up to cruising gear.

#3 ·
My commute to work is currently UBER-SHORT. It is less than a 2 mile drive each way for me. That would still be hard on my gas mileage, though. I fill up my tank once a week, typically on a Saturday, and in a mix of city streets and getting on the freeway for a bit, my gas mileage computed by the car has been on average between 26 and 30 MPG. Not too bad.

Last week, I was housesitting for a friend that lives in East Dallas and I drove from there to work in Irving. Traffic was not kind to me, though i don't know what my mileage ended up being.

#6 ·
I completed a 1650 mile trip a couple weeks back and averaged about 43mpg for it. My lifetime average after 26K miles is 38.5mpg.

The MK3 is great when allowed to cruise without stops particularly if you keep the speed below 65mph.

Brian

#9 ·
We're now showing over 600 miles. Took a trip today through western CT and into MA, about 3/4 on secondary roads including improved dirt. A good portion of the trip was "in the hills" so I got a number of chances to try out the overdrive cancel/grade assist position on the DCT.
I had been averaging about 32.5 mpg since I picked up the car, which had 200 miles as it had been transferred from a NJ dealer. Before the trip I reset the trip odometer and started out a new mileage recording. Despite all the hills and the car's low accumulated mileage (the owner's manuals states more accurate figures are recorded after 1000 and better yet 2000 miles) I arrived back at the house with a 40.2 mpg reading on the dash!
I'll try hand-calculating after we have 2000 miles but for now I am very happy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.