Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sanding/painting door panels?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  orland 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my driver and passenger side door panels are getting to look like this; http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/5pbh.jpg/

I'm wondering what grits I am going to need to start sanding them down to a very smooth surface, and then start painting them.

Also, if this seems like a stupid idea let me know.

#2 ·
That's UV damage to the plastic, you could sand it and try to make it look decent with paint but in all honesty it will look like a pitted mess.

Its best to go get another one in the junkyard that is in good shape and use it instead and try some sort of UV treatment on it to try and preserve it.

#3 ·
Alright, cool. I guess I'll get another door, but before that it'll make for a fun project to sand one of them down haha. Thanks dude!

If anyone has any tips on sanding something like this, I'd appreciate it!
Like info on grits/steps on painting/etc.

#4 ·
well for sanding if it was me I would strip everything off the door panel and start sanding with prolly a some what coarse sand paper prolly a 100 grit and once it was down to where there wasn't any pits id start using either 1000 grit or 1100 grit, that would give you a pretty smooth surface(I used 1100grit on my wifes explorer prior to priming)then shoot it with primer then you might want to try wet sanding it with fresh 1100grit sand paper depending on how many coats of primer you put on them. then finish with paint and if you want it to look fancy you could spray it down with a final coat of clear.

#5 ·
Awesome information, thanks!
Definitely want it to look nice.

I'm going to have to do all four doors, and every part of the car with that texture. Hope I'm not getting in too far over my head. I'll try with one and see how it pans out. (crappy pun intended [rofl])

#6 ·
Damn, that sucks. Good thing I have 5% window tint all the way around. Honestly though if it happened to mine I would do exactly what you have proposed. Sand it down nice and smooth, I mean smooth. And then shoot it in what ever color you can dream of. If you wanna stick with a factory look just spray it in a good color choice. I dont know about anyone else here but the chances of finding one of our cars in a junkyard isnt an easy find.

#7 ·
Damn, that sucks. Good thing I have 5% window tint all the way around. Honestly though if it happened to mine I would do exactly what you have proposed. Sand it down nice and smooth, I mean smooth. And then shoot it in what ever color you can dream of. If you wanna stick with a factory look just spray it in a good color choice. I dont know about anyone else here but the chances of finding one of our cars in a junkyard isnt an easy find.
So if it looks like garbage I'm effed,[mecry], haha.

Yea, I won't do anything wild with the colors!

Just an update for you guys; I haven't done anything yet with my doors.
My car is about to hit 100k so all my funds and time are going into research the how-to's and parts! When I do decide to do this, I want to take some pictures and maybe make a how-to for you guys. (If it goes well, of course)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.