Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Considering Wheels, Need Some Fitment Help

5K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  TheGlassMaker 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm considering getting a set of fifteen52 Tarmac wheels. I have a few questions about what size to get for the fitment I want. I really want the face of the wheel to be flush with the fender. They have them in either 17" or 18" and anywhere from 8" to 9.5" wide.

Can I fit a 18" wheel on a 2010 Focus? Tire Rack provides a tire size for an 18" wheel for the 2010 Focus on their website.

Does anyone know how wide of a wheel I can fit or if I can find a tire that will fit that wide of a wheel?

Should I just get the narrowest wheel and then install home wheel spacers?

Anyone ever taken any measurements similar to what I am looking for, e.g. from hub mounting surface to fender?

#3 ·
I wouldn't know about the measurements or any of that, but I wouldn't go with any bigger than 17" wheels for two reasons 1). Your turn radius is affected & 2). The bigger the wheels the heavier they are, affecting not only fuel economy but also your speed sensor which would need to be calibrated for the new size. I wouldn't wanna bother with all that.

#15 ·
So this is going to be a bit of a long post...

I wouldn't know about the measurements or any of that, but I wouldn't go with any bigger than 17" wheels for two reasons 1). Your turn radius is affected & 2). The bigger the wheels the heavier they are, affecting not only fuel economy but also your speed sensor which would need to be calibrated for the new size. I wouldnt wanna bother with all that.
I know you're just trying to help, but you are making a lot of assumptions here.

First, turn radius has nothing to do with the diameter of your wheel. The WIDTH of your tires can have an affect, but that's only a very small part of it unless we're working in extremes. A 1" width difference will be minuscule.

Next, generally larger wheels are heavier but that's not always the case. I have a few sets of 18" wheels and tires that are lighter than stock 16" wheels and tires. You need to take into account the weight of both wheel and tire to make a claim that larger diameter wheels are less efficient. I think what you're referring to is the fact that moving that weight further from the center point of the wheel requires more work, and that can hurt fuel efficiency.

That brings me to the next point, the diameter of the wheel has NOTHING to do with your speed sensor, that is affected by the outside diameter of your tires, not your wheels.

Actually, I just checked their site again and the only size they have in 4x108 bolt pattern is 17x8, but it is offered in 35 or 42 offset.
The number you will want is directly related to the suspension you have, how much camber front and rear you have, and what size tire you wish to run.

Does anyone know how wide of a wheel I can fit or if I can find a tire that will fit that wide of a wheel?

Should I just get the narrowest wheel and then install home wheel spacers?

Anyone ever taken any measurements similar to what I am looking for, e.g. from hub mounting surface to fender?
The width of wheel you can fit is again directly dependent upon suspension set up.

Narrow with spacers is one way to do it, but quality spacers aren't cheap and they add more weight than a wheel at the proper width and offset.

The measurements you're talking about have already been done, sort of. The wheels width, offset, and backspace will tell you exactly where the wheel will sit on your car in relation to the hub.

My ST3 has 18's & the turn radius is worse than my dad's F-450
That's because you have a performance car with a progressive rate steering rack. Any car that is going to have a responsive steering wheel will have a poor turning radius. Don't believe me? Drive a Ferrari or a Porsche Turbo or anything like that. The standard focus Titanium suffers from poor turning radius because ford installed hub spacers and stops to make it so drivers don't make contact with the suspension components with the ridiculously high offset stock wheels.

Trucks have poor turning radius because of their wheel base. The longer the distance between the front amd rear wheel the poorer the radius. A focus SE would out turn that full size truck any day.

I actually made that thread to get a more direct answer because I have a couple questions in this one. I don't know what the backspacing is, but they are available in +15 to +35 offset. They are watercooledIND cc10's. I was thinking about getting the +15 offest.
Don't do +15, you'll never get them to fit.

15 offset would be nuts, you'd be better off with 35. Remember the lower the number the more the wheel sticks out. Stock wheels are et52 to 49. I run 18x7.5 et45 on my first gen. they sit nearly flush.

Focus MK1 RS wheels are 18x8 et42 they require fender work to fit on a 1st gen focus that's lowered.

Here is a set on a stock SVT suspension.

Here is a set on a slammed focus.

Here is that same wheel on a slammed Mk2.

I fixed the wheel size, its 18x8 not 18x9.

[;)]

#6 ·
wider wheels

300 miles on my new 2014 titanium HB and want to change wheels. Will keep the front size of 18x8, but want the rears to be 18x9. Very difficult finding a manufacture of staggered wheels with affordable pricing. Bolt pattern is now 5x108 (4.25) and this also creates another problem of adapters. Very difficult an operation for fitment, size, spacing and tires. With rolling the fenders there seems to be space for all this, but will take more then my little knowledge to make it happen. Would appreciate any opinion--

#7 ·
300 miles on my new 2014 titanium HB and want to change wheels. Will keep the front size of 18x8, but want the rears to be 18x9. Very difficult finding a manufacture of staggered wheels with affordable pricing. Bolt pattern is now 5x108 (4.25) and this also creates another problem of adapters. Very difficult an operation for fitment, size, spacing and tires. With rolling the fenders there seems to be space for all this, but will take more then my little knowledge to make it happen. Would appreciate any opinion--
Fifteen52 has 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 wheels, just buy two of each size. Check out watercooledIND as well, should have the size you are looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
I see you have more than one thread on the same subject. Any how..... I commented on your other but this seems to be getting more attention.

What's the backspace and offset?

Offset is usually on the back of one of the spokes. Backspace can be measured by laying the wheel on its face lay something flat like a ruler on the back of the wheel and measure from the center hub to the ruler.

#9 ·
I actually made that thread to get a more direct answer because I have a couple questions in this one. I don't know what the backspacing is, but they are available in +15 to +35 offset. They are watercooledIND cc10's. I was thinking about getting the +15 offest.

#10 ·
15 offset would be nuts, you'd be better off with 35. Remember the lower the number the more the wheel sticks out. Stock wheels are et52 to 49. I run 18x7.5 et45 on my first gen. they sit nearly flush.

Focus MK1 RS wheels are 18x9 et42 they require fender work to fit on a 1st gen focus that's lowered.

Here is a set on a stock SVT suspension.

Here is a set on a slammed focus.

Here is that same wheel on a slammed Mk2.

#13 ·
It does help. My problem is I'm trying to visualize in my head what I actually need, rather than looking at it myself. That's why I thought +15 offset would be better, I was visualizing my stock wheels were in a lot further.

Would it be easier to get a set of wheels and adjust the fitment with wheel spacers? Originally, I wanted the fifteen52 17x8 Tarmac wheels. They come in either +42 or +35 offset. I can also get H&R wheel spacers from FSWerks. That last picture you posted of the Mk2 is basically what I want, just maybe a little more further out.

#16 ·
Thanks for the input Nick.

I won't be lowering my car at all, it would be impossible to get into my apartment if I did. I scrape on stock suspension pulling in (very steep entrance). Well, there is a possibility I may get lowering springs, but definitely not coil overs and definitely not slamming the car. Maybe just enough to minimize some of the wheel gap. The only other suspension modification I may do is adding a rear sway bar and upgrading the front one. I'm thinking I may just go with the 17x8 Fifteen52 Tarmac with +35 offset.

#17 ·
If you're not going to lower the car much if at all the 42mm offset would be better.

A 35mm pair for the rear would work but Id be willing to bet you'll rub in the front under hard turns and/or big dips.

You can always run H&R 5mm spacers in the rear giving them an offset of +37 and running small spacers in the rear will allow you to rotate fronts and rears.

Reactions: TheGlassMaker
#19 ·
Offset is +55 on the car. -A LOT- Most wheels do not come so large. (have looked for hours on the internet of at least 200 wheels and not found one I would buy) First to find the wheel which is staggered and anywhere the correct offset, and then to find the bolt pattern wrong for me - VERY frustrating.

Someone just mentioned the turning radius of 18" wheels, now at the dealer, most of the new 2014 titaniums have 19" wheels, which makes them worse and heavier.

Tomorrow wil go to a place called 'California Wheels' in San Jose, CA. No doubt the formost authority on this subject within northern california.

#21 ·
lookingood said:
No doubt the formost authority on this subject within northern california.
Lol, you mean me?

Don't waste your time anywhere else.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308329

Custom built to whatever offset you choose. 16-18 in 4x108 and 5x108

Lighter than stock wheels, stronger too. Many color options, made in the UK.

Best deal on custom wheels. Period.

#23 ·
Thank's Nick.

While the Tarmacs are certainly nice looking, they are way heavy, 27lbs each IIRC for the 17x8...Maybe Nick can correct me on that.

Team Dynamics offers the Pro Race 1.2 in 18x8 @ 19.8 lbs and 18x9 @ 21.4lbs. Custom offsets, a range of colors, and the option of no lettering on the rim (aka Spec 390, a Perfect Circle Autosport development) is available for spec ordering directly from the UK factory. Staggered, mixed offsets, each wheel a different color...there are many combinations.

Perfect Circle Autosport is Team Dynamics #1 North American spec wheel dealer. If it is Team Dynamics wheels you want, PCA is the place to go.

One quick item, the Tarmac is a low pressure cast wheel. The Team Dynamics wheels (not the Pro Forged) are premium low pressure cast, heat treated, shot peened wheels, and have OEM quality coatings. Great wheels and the price is great also. Just ask Nick!

Any questions, please pm or contact me here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.