Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Sedan ST Conversion

38K views 101 replies 36 participants last post by  Twenty 
#1 · (Edited)
So this has been going through my head and I think it'd be a very interesting car idea.

I have a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and tbh I'm not a fan of it.. tranny problems and I've been averaging 15-16mpg at 45mph....anyway.

I would like to turbocharge the engine, new exhaust, suspension, tune, CAI, filter, do a transmission swap to go to manual, short throw shifter, lower the car for better handling, and if possible, get it to be AWD.

And then for fun add a ST front bumper and ST decal on the back instead of SEL.

I know it's kinda a given that I'll run into problems, but it's either put in $15k or less into making a (worlds first?) 2012 Sedan ST or throw up an extra $12kish on buying a stock Focus ST.

One thing that I'm curious on is how the dealership would appraise it if I turn it in.

I'm positive I can get a 0-60 around 5 seconds or less(what I'm shooting for).

Maybe I'm shooting for the stars, but hey, it's a thought.

UPDATE

So far appearance upgrades to be a STedan will cost $2698.96 before shipping.. so around 3k extra.. which isn't bad tbh...

Thats for:
ST front end
ST side skirts
3d rear skirt
Leather racing seats
ST decal (for the rear)

For performance cost will be around $2847.88 before shipping and cost of a supercharger.

SCT Tune
Steeda CAI
Ford Racing Performance Parts 2012+ Focus Handling Kit
FSWERKS Race Exhaust System
Direct Port Nitrous

That should end up somewhere around 200 or so horsepower but with a turbocharger I could probably be seeing 240ish(?) and then an extra 250hp from the NOS.

Taking a guess and saying the turbocharger will be something $600..

With some small extra interior mods, dash kit, new speakers, and new wheels and tires, I think this build will cost less than $10,000. Considering the stock car I'd start on will probably cost 13k or so, this should be an under 25k car.

Should be a quick car.

See less See more
#4 ·
You would be better off starting with an escape.

If you actually build a boosted awd mk3 saloon find me
Ill buy you a beer.

Otherwise sell the focus and get an escape or leave this blue oval for the other.

#6 ·
So this has been going through my head and I think it'd be a very interesting car idea.

I have a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and tbh I'm not a fan of it.. tranny problems and I've been averaging 15-16mpg at 45mph....anyway.

I would like to turbocharge the engine, new exhaust, suspension, tune, CAI, filter, do a transmission swap to go to manual, short throw shifter, lower the car for better handling, and if possible, get it to be AWD.

I know it's kinda a given that I'll run into problems, but it's either put in $15k or less into making a (worlds first?) 2012 Sedan ST or throw up an extra $12kish on buying a stock Focus ST.

One thing that I'm curious on is how the dealership would appraise it if I turn it in.

That sounds like a TALL drink of water my friend. [eek] And, although you may be able to pull off a good portion of this proposed build for around 15k, there's no way an AWD setup will come in under that price. Converting a non AWD vehicle to AWD is very challenging (and costly) due to the necessary reinforcements that are needed (not to mention a drivetrain, transmission and engine to go with it). Either way, though, if you do decide to "take the plunge" please be sure to post up from time to time on how your project is developing! [cheers]

Although...as mentioned above, a Ford Escape would be a perfect subject to start with.

#8 ·
That sounds like a TALL drink of water my friend. [eek] And, although you may be able to pull off a good portion of this proposed build for around 15k, there's no way an AWD setup will come in under that price. Converting a non AWD vehicle to AWD is very challenging (and costly) due to the necessary reinforcements that are needed (not to mention a drivetrain, transmission and engine to go with it). Either way, though, if you do decide to "take the plunge" please be sure to post up from time to time on how your project is developing! [cheers]
The only reason I considered an AWD conversion is to help improve the acceleration.
Is FWD to RWD as hard?

I don't think 400hp or so at the front wheels is very good lol

#12 ·

Where have you seen a 12K focus ST? The only used ST I've ever seen was a ST3, 8 thousand miles and they wanted 27k. Which is a rip off considering you can buy new for that price.

#15 ·
Sounds like a great dream project...

Just buy an ST.

#19 ·

... Sounds much cheaper to trade it for an Audi turbo Quattro...

#20 ·
There is another blue oval in your price range that meets your requirements .....

But if all your worried about is 0-60.. And want to stay bran loyal... Kick it old school

Mustang and use the money saved to put some suspension and shoes on your focus assuming you haven't already. And there will still be money left over use that to
Pay extra vlf fees.. Pending speeding tickets etc etc.

The moral of the story is there are
More cost effective and practical solutions

#21 ·
Would you rather see a mustang(that 6/10 people drive in San Antonio) or a Sedan ST?

Plus that's a scooby... which means it's japanese and therefore Foreign.

Foreign parts are very expensive... it was $700 from multiple dealerships to fix a sun visor that broke off of a Nissan Murano.

#22 ·
I'm not trying to sound argumentative but... Your worried about parts cost but your willing to swap in all these (expensive) parts?

Yah mustangs are common but technically... Focuses are even more common.

Wrx parts are fairly abundant and reasonably priced.. Especially compared to mk3 parts but I'm also not comparing apples to apples.

To your point tho yes it would be bitchin to see a boosted mk3 sedan. And a couple people have floated through my feeds working on them but I'm yet to see one with an awd conversion.

#27 ·
I'd love to see a sedan ST project. Hell if you were local I'd want to help. I thought about how that would look... swap the front end and side skirts, use the 3D carbon rear valance as suggested, find or have someone custom make a wing more like the old SVT so it sits up a little higher (just for looks, of course, it IS fwd.)

I'd stick with the FWD setup, if you did a full on ST swap you'd still be kicking ass around the track with the torque-vectoring. Ford dialed that in RIGHT.

I'm 100% for this build. Make it happen!

#28 ·
I'd stick with the FWD setup, if you did a full on ST swap you'd still be kicking ass around the track with the torque-vectoring. Ford dialed that in RIGHT.
x2

I'm sure we can agree on the track an LSD > ediff

But for daily and occasional track use the St is impressive.

Wish either of those options were in my current build budget/plans.

#30 ·
That isn't a Fiesta and it definitely costs a hell of a lot more than an additional $25k. All it is is a fiesta-shaped shell on a fully-built RACECAR.

Apples-to-oranges comparison is bananas.

#33 ·
Have you seen the awd kit for the fiesta. Its around 40k, the last time i saw it, just for that not even boosted or anything. Your talking about spending a lot of money when you could even go buy the new mercedes benz cla45 thats awd, 350hp, and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Or even an evo or sti used.

Plus ken blocks fiesta is not even a fiesta anymore. The only thing fiesta about it is the head unit.

#36 ·
So far appearance upgrades to be a STedan will cost $2698.96 before shipping.. so around 3k extra.. which isn't bad tbh...

Thats for:
ST front end
ST side skirts
3d rear skirt
Leather racing seats
ST decal (for the rear)

For performance cost will be around $2847.88 before shipping and cost of a supercharger.

SCT Tune
Steeda CAI
Ford Racing Performance Parts 2012+ Focus Handling Kit
FSWERKS Race Exhaust System
Direct Port Nitrous

That should end up somewhere around 200 or so horsepower but with a turbocharger I could probably be seeing 240ish(?) and then an extra 250hp from the NOS.

Taking a guess and saying the turbocharger will be something $600..

With some small extra interior mods, dash kit, new speakers, and new wheels and tires, I think this build will cost less than $10,000. Considering the stock car I'd start on will probably cost 13k or so, this should be an under 25k car.

Should be a quick car.

#37 ·
Someone made a turbo kit for the MK3 I've seen one on a sedan on fb aswell as many other mods like a endless big brake kit. Ill try to find the pics for it.

If you wanted to get stupid. Ford racing sells 2.0 fiesta crate engine for 10 grand. It about 600hp n/a.

#46 ·
Are you new to building performance cars? Not trying to bash, just stating my observations from this thread. You have some cool ideas, but all of them are going to take some SERIOUS money. My best advice to you is to do TONS of research on whatever performance mods you want to do.

You can't just slap things on and expect them to work, and this chassis is still too new to see any similar builds to what you want right now.Good luck in your build though, I want to see an awesome ST sedan!

#51 ·
It's doing great... I was thinking about doing 4 XFL 10s on 5k :D:D:D:D:D:D thats expensive though.

Last saturday I was at my dealership and this salesman saw my amp and asked about my system so I gave him a demo... I came in earlier today and was just hanging out messing around with the ST and apparently he told the rest of the salesmen so I gave like 8 ford salesmen a demo lmao

They were all saying "thats the cleanest and loudest I've ever heard".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.