Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any Problems W/ SCT Tune?

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Hypnotic 
#1 ·
I just got my SCT Tune a couple days ago and I've had some problems.

- Rough Idle

- Surging around 2000 - 2500 rpm, especially noticable when cruising in 6th

- Check engine light

Has anybody else here had those problems? If so, was your supplier able to correct them?

Thanks guys!

ME

#2 ·
It doesnt matter what tuning software your going to use, issues like that come from the tuner rather then the software *sct, diablo...autologic...*
If you have an SCT shelf tune that might happen but who knows....
Take it up with your tuner....

And Tom, flame on!!!

#3 ·
i actually have those issues right now, it's been worked on, but i'm gonna get my check engine light read tomorrow because today is a holiday and everywhere is closed. i have the rough idle at like 1500-1750rpms, abut it's not as bad as before.... but we'll see what the CEL says and i'll tell my tuner from there on, and i'm sure he will work something out... =)

#4 · (Edited)
Mines great, never had a single issue. I can data log, read codes, clear codes, and stream live data to a laptop but I guess thats what you get when you pay the extra money for the better hardware and tune. Anyone want to guess which one I settled for? I know I'm going to start a shit storm here but when your talking about messing with your ecu I always said you should buy the best and to hell with it costing a little extra. Just my opinion. Let the dirty replies begin.

#5 ·
My car has never run better. A fellow svt owner rode in mine last week and said mine pulls better than his, and he's got the orp, k&n shorty and borla. Did you follow the instructions to the letter when loading it? Is it Hypnotics tune? Wayne will make it right if it's his. Are you going fast enough in 6th, and it still stumbles? A little more info please.

#7 ·
hey, everyone.... with regards to the power of the tune, yea i got plenty and it's awsome... i love the power level, also i know of someone that has tom's tune that end up getting a CEL from it, but you know what....sometimes it's just little problems that cause the CEL to come up, it's no biggie, anyways yes i got it from Hypnotic, and i'm gonna get the code read today. also when i'm in 6th and at part throttle at very low rpms say 1250rpms and as it moves up slowly it will studder/surge, but if i press the accelerator pedal more and it accelerates pass that zone quickly than no probs at all, but i'm usually in that zone in 2nd gear when in traffic so it's kinda hard to stay outta that zone, also i don't want to be shifting into first while i'm rolling. but hopefully Hypnotic will get it fixed soon. he's been the greatest help and so far many people's problems seem to be resolved but mine... :(

#9 ·
Yes, I'm making sure that I'm going fast enough in 6th. This is the same chugging that was happening with early stock tunes (pre-YRFO). Although, this chugging is more violent. Probably just a quirk with my car. The tune just probably need to be tweaked.

I'm not too worried, I'm sure everything will get worked out. The customer service so far has been simply outstanding.

#11 ·
ok i just got it read today, it gave me the code P0133 - Ho2 s11 circuit slow response. the guy that read the code also said that the code reader also had some other info on there that said (air leak, maf/exhuast, or to much fuel) maybe it might be to much fuel... i told wayne about it, so hopefully he will have a fix soon so i can start enjoying it.

Tom, i don't really want to name names on the board, and yes it was from the tune, my friend said that it's little stuff and he knows his car stuff, so he just cleared the code and left it as is, because he knows that there weren't gonna be any side effects.

#13 ·
the only reason why i was bringing it up was becasue sidney61199, was saying things that aren't totally true, maybe alot of people have problems but don't say.... i know that most people who got tunes have had some little problem and never posted it on the boards, but went directly to their tuner and got it resolved and left it as is. the truth is, there is problems with every tune, no tune can be perfect, if the tuner wants to push the car to it's full potential, there are going to be consequences, maybe not big ones but there will still be some issues (ie. drivability), and no tom, i'm not going to name names, because if my friend wants to call you up because he/she has a problem he/she will, i respect what you do and how do you do things but breaking someones balls online to make them tell you when they already said they don't want to tell, is just wrong.

#14 ·
I shouldn't have posted what I did but I just find it a little amusing that lots of people were trying to save a buck by going with the SCT then tried to justify there choice by saying "I don't need a data logger". Data logging is only one out of about 5 special things the Predator can do. Now many of them are posting on here saying they are having problems. Sure maybe some where some one has had problems with the Predator/Toms tune but I have yet to see a post from the actual person having the problems. I have only seen a few from the people posting "I have a friend who knows a guy, who talked to his cousin, who's brother had problems with the Predator/Toms tune". No offense to anyone, I am just to eager to post what I feel.

#15 ·
All of the issues with my tune have been fixed with the exception of the surging. I'm sure a fix is only another update away.

SLIP STREAM SVT - I totally agree with you; I'm sure that many, if not most of the people that are re-flashing thier SVT's are having some little issues. It's just that every car is different. No single "cookie-cutter" tune will be good for all of them, regardless of the hardware used to flash the car.

When I posted here asking if anyone had problems, I was not intending to start flaming any of the tuners or their chosen medium; I just wanted reassurance that I wasn't the only one having issues.

I have no doubt that all of them will be fixed in due time. It just comes down to confidence in the tuner and a little patience on the customer's part.

#16 ·
No slip what is wrong is bringing it up at all, if you dont know what caused the problem than how do you know for sure that it has anything to do with my tune

I can honestly say that i have 3 SVT out there that have EVER had any issues with my tune and 2 are with people that had the Predator and just bought my tune , dont know if there is anything with that or not , and the other 1 is being addressed now

Out of over 75 Predators sent out 1 issue isnt much at all

Infrared03SVT, You asked a fair question and im sorry to say that only slip and denzillion had the balls to step up and say they had or were having issues BUT they were being addressed

It amazes me how many sat back and didnt say a word with the MANY that i know of that had surg issues and many other things from there tune BETA or other wise

Im sorry i dont come here for just the good i want the bad as well this is how i learn to do a better tune , This is a Forum to learn from and some time there has to be bad to be good

Tom

#17 ·
Tom, I'm glad to see that you're being proactive in developing your product. To that end, let's change the subject here.

Here is a list of the issues that I've had with my tune, which was provided with the Xcalibrator:

- Rough Idle FIXED

- Occasional Pinging @ Idle FIXED

- Battery Light FIXED

- Check Engine Light FIXED

- 2000 rpm Surging NOT QUITE FIXED

Anybody else have something to add? The more information that is put out, the faster these issues can be addressed (or avoided).

#18 ·
Had the tune for well over 6K miles and no issues, Wayne sent me a new program after installing the larger TB and it got even better.

Just curious, before resorting to an issue with the tune, have you made sure than anything else that could cause a problem has been corrected or is doing what it's supposed to do?

#19 ·
Absolutely everything was fine with the car prior to the tune. Didn't even have any of the typical problems from the stock tune. Car was flashed with YRFO, has less than 25k on the clock and is very well maintained.

In fact, the car runs fine with the stock tune uploaded (except that it bogs, has no torque, blah blah blah)...

#20 ·
same here, i had no issues before the tune, i didn't even seem to have a bog or anything remotley like that. no surge/buck/stumble... wayne is supposedly gonna send me a new tune today. so i'll get a chance to try it out tomorrow and hopefully all goes well with it finally.

#22 ·
Infrared03SVT said:
Tom, I'm glad to see that you're being proactive in developing your product. To that end, let's change the subject here.

Here is a list of the issues that I've had with my tune, which was provided with the Xcalibrator:

- Rough Idle FIXED

- Occasional Pinging @ Idle FIXED

- Battery Light FIXED

- Check Engine Light FIXED

- 2000 rpm Surging NOT QUITE FIXED

Anybody else have something to add? The more information that is put out, the faster these issues can be addressed (or avoided).
Ok..once again....who did your tune?
Or...was it a shelf tune from SCT?

#23 ·
Lupuri - I hope you'll understand... I don't want to throw a name out there before everything is put in order. I don't want anyone thinking that my particular tuner is having issues and is unable to resolve them. I just don't think that would be fair.

For what it's worth, I am happy with what was accomplished with my latest tune. The car drives wonderfully except for that surging. I was supposed to get an updated tune today to fix that as well but as of right now, nothing...

#24 ·
To all who have posted, check your email, the updates are there. I am not ashamed to say that some of you have my tunes and are having a couple of issues. But I can also say that some of these issues I have found have to do with driving habits.
I had a customer here that had the same issue as Slip Stream, only to find out he was trying to drive the car at 45 mph in 6th gear! The car is not geared for that low of a speed/RPM in 6th, PERIOD. ESPECIALLY with the changes made in the tune.
Once he understood this, he has is not experiencing the chugging anymore.
With the tuning, there are always some small issues to be worked out. I have done my best to keep up with all the updates. If I havent been exactly prompt with them, I apologize. I have had some customers cars here, at the garage, and am also in the process of some R&D for parts for the SVTF and other vehicles that I work on.
Being your own boss is great, but when you are also the only employee, sometimes it does kick your arse as well.
I do my best [:D]

#25 ·
well wayne, thanks for the tune, and i'm gonna try it out today but first i'm gonna load the stock tune in first because i have to do emmissions testing today... than after that i will be trying the new tune out. as to what you said about driving in 6th at 45mph, i don't do that.... but say i'm in trafffic in 2nd, and i'm going less than 5mph, i was told never to shift into first while i'm rolling, cause if i'm in like 2nd at like 1500-1750rpms it will chug. but anyways i will never doubt your customer service skills, and i am 100% positive you will work out all the problems.

#26 ·
Infrared03SVT said:
Lupuri - I hope you'll understand... I don't want to throw a name out there before everything is put in order. I don't want anyone thinking that my particular tuner is having issues and is unable to resolve them. I just don't think that would be fair.

For what it's worth, I am happy with what was accomplished with my latest tune. The car drives wonderfully except for that surging. I was supposed to get an updated tune today to fix that as well but as of right now, nothing...
Sorry, I wasnt trying to get you to roast anyone....sorry if I gave that impression
Like I said, its gonna boil down to the tuneR over the tuneing software...
If your having issues with a tune, its best to go right to the tuner and have the issues worked out.

GL, glad your makeing progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.