Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Mudflaps - aftermarket?

60K views 151 replies 58 participants last post by  DVolpe 
#1 ·
Hi all!
Has anyone found aftermarket mudflaps that will work with our 2012 Focus Hatches? I'm looking for an alternative to the factory splash gaurds.

#15 ·
Well I think these would be the way to go too. I only said they were pricey because the Exterior Protection Package costs $245!

Would you please post up the parts# you bought for your 5-door. Are they the same as the ones shown for the Exterior Protection Package?

Furthermore, I just got back from a road trip in a different hatchback. My buddy's hatch didn't have protection whereas mine has OEM splash gaurds. The side of his car was splattered with tar and mud whilst mine had a distinct line where the grit had been blocked.

#7 ·
The rears are different for 4 door vs. 5 door. I'm not so sure that is such a good price. Through Ford Parts I paid for each set $37.49 + tax with no shipping charge. On Ford Parts you have to establish an account, designate a dealership and your parts are shipped to the dealership for pick up.

#9 ·
Got a set of 4 from site sponsor came to $86 shipped through steve. A lot of design went into the Ford OEM flaps which fit every nook and cranny of the vehicle. All screws and clips supplied only thing you need is a drill for 2 holes.

I personally think in this case the Ford OEM are worth every penny.

#21 ·
Installation is really easy. You remove the existing plugs and install plastic pop rivets that get hammered in. All the holes match up, one hole needs to be drilled.
Edit: Installation steps:
Fronts:
Remove tire
The instructions will show which rivets to use in which holes
Pry out 3 wheel well liner plugs and anchors and the plug and anchor under the car holding the front of the plastic scuff guard (I also tightened 3 Torx screws supporting the wheel well liner with a 5/32 allen wrench)
Fit guard and install top plastic pop rivet, hammer in the rivet to hold the guard in place. Install the other two rivets. You may have to support the wheel well liner when hammering the rivets, there's some bounce back
Install pop rivet under the car
Drill a 15/64 (6mm) hole through the existing inner most hole on the guard and install the final rivet. My cordless drill did not fit between the brake disk and the wheel well liner so I had to drill at an angle, seems OK though. A small right angle drill will work great.
Rears:
Remover tire
Remove two Torx screws with a 5/32 allen
Slip screw clip on to soft felt liner material lining it up with the existing hole
Fit guard and install Torx screws and screw into screw clip
Install pinch clip at the tab and push like hell or hammer into place
Now repeat on the other side of the car and your done.

#25 ·
Which site sponsor Steve would that be? A search turned up two, or possibly three but one is old, sponsors that have someone named Steve working there? Picking my closest dealer gave me the $49.99 each price on FordParts.com. I'd gladly order from this Steven if you can give me a pointer to him on here or the URL to the website. Thanks!

#29 ·
i don't like any factory mud flaps... they all are 'indented' on the side facing the tire which just collects snow and dirt and mud.. flat flaps are better as the stuff just doesn't accumulate..
also,, most factory flaps , like ford's , wrap around and they look clunky w/ (esp w/ a light paint job)
i'd prefer to be ocd and clean the car more often than have ugly flaps on the car...just my two cents.

#32 ·
One interesting point i noticed on the rear fender bulge (while waxing car)
is the fender edge has an odd bump which seems out of place.
But if you add the rear splash guard, it sort of becomes more integrated.
In the pic posted earlier in this thread, you can see the bump above the top of the rubber strip up on the side of the wheel well.

#33 ·
One interesting point i noticed on the rear fender bulge (while waxing car)
is the fender edge has an odd bump which seems out of place.
Elizabeth, you know it is not nice to torment the children. [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.