Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Backup Camera Install - Lock Pick

106K views 127 replies 32 participants last post by  svanesjøen 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my experience with installing Lock Pick and a slick (looking) Chinese backup camera in my 2012 SEL. Since this will be a step by step commentary, I chose not to include it in the various backup camera posts that were so helpful to me in making the leap - thanks to all posters.

First, I now regret my decision not to order the parking assist package - it would have provided what I really want - a backup camera - for much less money than the Lock Pick 2 and after market backup camera. I'll use the various DVD in motion, camera in motion, nav in motion features the Lock Pick provides, but that was not what prompted my purchase and I could live without these features. On the other hand, these features are pretty cool. My failure to get the car without Parking Assist is water under my bridge but something prospective Focus buyers might want to consider.

Oh, on the subject of Focus BU cameras; I went by my Ford store to look at factory BU camera installs on cars in stock and I found a number of 2013 cars that had Backup Assist but did NOT have Parking Assist AND had backup cameras. Secondly, all the cameras on the 2013s in the lot were mounted directly under the deck lid next to, but independent of, the license plate light/hatch-truck button assy. I believe this is a change from 2012 because others have shared photos of their 2012 factory cameras that were incorporated into the latch button assy. Not important and I didn't ask any sales people about this - it was just an observation I made that might help with your Focus purchase plans.

I ordered my Lock Pick 2 from Solid Signal http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp?mc=06&d=marine-automotive-audio-video&c=DVD%20Navigation%20Lockpicks. I paid $327.94, delivered to CA - the least expensive unit I found. The Solid Signal page for the 2012-13 Focus Lock Pick warns that this will not work with an after market camera but this is inaccurate as the Lock Pick 2 page clearly states that it WILL work with any aftermarket camera and the Lock Pick 2 instructions actually tells you where to attach power from your "aftermarket" backup camera.

The unit arrived safe and sound and now resides in my shop awaiting the completion of my current Honey Do List so I can play.

Most are aware that there are a number of pretty good Lock Pick Focus specific install videos on YouTube and the installation looks pretty easy, really plug and play. This is the one from the company itself and it is the one I'll be using. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumIkND0suk The kit comes with a set of pretty good instructions and most of what one needs for an installation except the camera.

Oh, on that subject Lock Pick no longer sells backup cameras, although their web site still shows them as available.

I did a lot of looking on the web for an appropriate camera and found there were many options available from cheap and crappy to very expensive and who knows. I wanted one that:
1. looked OEM,
2. was CCD not CMOS (CMOS quality is a bit lacking and it is reportedly more subject to electrical interference than CCD) and,
3. was around $40.

At the suggestion of a fellow Fanatic (thank you), I finally tried AliExpress.com (kind of the Chinese eBay) and I found a selection of good looking Sony CCD cameras much better than eBays and at much better prices. I picked one that was incorporated into the plate light/trunk button assy for only $40, delivered by China Post. It took a couple of weeks to get the thing and tracking China Post is iffy at best, but I am not disappointed in the quality look and feel of the product - it could have come directly from (and might have actually been made for) Ford. I hope my post installation impressions are as favorable. It was very well packed and was completely devoid of any paperwork - no big deal as it is pretty uncomplicated. My experience with AliExpress was very favorable.

The Lock Pick 2 requires that the after market camera power be connected to its harness' orange wire which means that a wire run from the camera to the MFT area on the car will be required. Because the camera I bought (and all I've seen) are meant to be powered from the car's backup light circuit the wiring harness sent with the camera is clearly too short to go all the way forward to the Lock Pick. Not a big deal but I will need to splice on a length of wire.

That's where things stand right now. I will post more as I complete the installation - very soon I hope.

See less See more
Reactions: SilverPony2001
#4 ·
Redzone, I did post a link to the Lock Pick I bought and to AliExpress.com but I didn't post a link to the camera because, like an eBay post, the link will be broken as soon as the auction closes - here it is anyway http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/234186763.html. The company name was KC Car Accessories Discount Store and the camera brand was Hot Audio. A search "backup camera" or "rearview camera" in AliExpress.com will give others plenty to look at. Here's a photo of part of the product page screen shot.

#6 ·
In spite of my various other tasks that - according to my bride - are of higher priority than my various vehicle projects, I will hook the camera up to a battery and a portable DVD player so I can see that it works. That will be done today so that I can complete the transaction with AliExpress. I'll take a picture or two.

#10 ·
Interesting. Like you said, the factory camera that came with my 2013 sedan was entirely separate from the latch, not even in a surrounding plastic frame. I don't see them that often (and my car is a weird SE/camera combo), so I don't know how common this layout is in 2013.

#12 ·
Interesting. Like you said, the factory camera that came with my 2013 sedan was entirely separate from the latch, not even in a surrounding plastic frame. I don't see them that often (and my car is a weird SE/camera combo), so I don't know how common this layout is in 2013.

That is exactly what I saw on all the Focci on the lot.

#11 ·
Okay, I brought in a small trailer brake battery and took some pix with the camera connected to the RCA video in on my plasma TV. Excuse the various reflection on the screen but needless to say, I'm quite pleased with this $40 camera's quality.

I also took this picture of a lace tablecloth to show the resolution, which isn't bad.

This camera is also IR so night vision should be pretty good. I will take a photo of its output after the sun sets tonight.

#13 ·
Okay, I brought in a small trailer brake battery and took some pix with the camera connected to the RCA video in on my plasma TV. Excuse the various reflection on the screen but needless to say, I'm quite pleased with this $40 camera's quality.
I'm imagining backing your car into the room to take the pictures. [rofl]

But seriously, those are great looking images for $40. I'll be interested to see what it looks like at night - my factory camera is surprisingly good in low light.

#15 ·
"Reverse Sensing System" is a $255 option on the 2013 SE and it comes standard on the 2013 Titanium.
A rear view camera didn't come with reverse sensing in the '12, you had to buy the parking assist package at $375 - and I now wish I had ordered it. Ford did listen to the gripes from the '12 buyers and gave them/us cameras in '13 without having to buy a system to automatically park your car.

#20 ·
Thanks SilverPony. Yes, you can install a front camera and a kiddy cam for the back seat or some other camera, or you can install left and right cameras. There are two RCA connectors that can be accessed from a mounting point under the dash, for instance, after you complete the harness installation. I will be putting in front left and right corner cameras I think.

#26 ·
Yeah, the final rule requiring them for the 2014 model year was supposed to be released in 2012 but the administration has been dragging its feet and the rule is still languishing. It is now too late for 2014, even if the rule came out today.

#27 ·
Hello fellow bay areaian!
I have also purchased the the LockPick and the Camera and will be installing when I get my hands on them. I think I decided that I am going to install the camera with a Add-A-Circuit in the rear fuse box in fuse 79 (I think) which is the one for the back-up camera, but I need to know if that fuse only works when the car is in reverse, or if it works at all times when the engine is running. (I guess I will have to just wait and see) I am also trying to decide what to do with the other camera inputs. I really wanted to throw a camera on the front license plate with infrared leds so that I could possible use it as night vision, but upon searching that seems much harder to do that I expected. I was also thinking that I could somehow put a camera up by where the antenna meets the car as like a cop lookout camera. lol... if anyone has any suggestions, I will definitely consider them!
I am looking forward to seeing how you go about installing the camera and wish you luck!
-poopell

#28 ·
Hello fellow bay areaian!
I am looking forward to seeing how you go about installing the camera and wish you luck!
-poopell
Hey poopell, you're north, I'm south - in the mountains between about Gilroy and Aptos - where in Marin Co. are you?

I was interested in reading your post and considering your install. I might have misread it, but I think I saw that Lock Pick wants the after market powered by the orange wire in their harness - I'd love it if I could hook in closer to the camera so please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that the OEM setup only powers when the car's in reverse (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so that would eliminate the possibility of using the rear view camera while in forward motion.

I too considered the (kind of) heads up display front looking IR camera - what were the problems you saw as more trouble than it was worth? I do still like the idea of two front cameras - one left corner one right for tight parking places.

#31 ·
Well it's dark and I tried a few lighting schemes in my living room but couldn't get near what my car's backup lights provide. The lighting was just too sketchy, either too dim or too bright so I'll just have to wait until I can get the camera installed and take an actual photo on the MFT display. I did have images from the camera tonight and I'm certain they were sufficient to have seen an obstacle or pedestrian well before impact, even in very dim lighting well below that provided by my backup lights.

#33 ·
Where did you snake your cable, TiTony? I should have plenty of cable myself they provided me with 5 meters worth, and one can always add a cable and RCA connector if needed.

Good Idea for the USB cable. Where did you end up mounting the Lock Pick outlet box?

#35 ·
Well, JCW, my car is actually an SEL - apparently a sub model dropped by Ford for '13, probably because it was too close to a Ti and some of us chose to save a thousand bucks or so and still have a nicely equipped car. Anyway, yes I have MFT and reverse sensors but no camera.

#39 ·
#51 ·
Thanks TehMark. That would be a great spot from which to pull power but the Lock Pick wants you to power the camera from it's harness - attached to its orange/black wire. I'm sure this is so that you can use the rear camera in motion feature that Lock Pick provides. I'm sure I'll have no problem running a wire either at the door sill or along the upper door area under the head liner. If anyone has done this and has any advice - I'm listening. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.