Focus Fanatics Forum banner

489whp SVT Focus Just got off the dyno

17K views 87 replies 18 participants last post by  700whpfocus 
#1 ·
Well guys chris (Earls32) svt focus just got off the dyno here in clearwater. Fernando@RPS came over and gave this thing a awesome tune. I made a chris a completely new Topmount setup with a GT3582r turbo and some little misc things and I (We) are all very happy with how this car is performing. It has a completely stock head with just a built bottom end, this car is on pump gas 93 oct fuel and 20psi of boost. For this boost level on pump gas is awesome to see these kinds of numbers, All pulls were done on a dynojet 224x.

15psi the car made SAE 396whp

20psi STD corrected numbers

See less See more
1 6
#39 ·
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306899

flip through my thread. i learned ALOT about forced induction over the last few months and pretty much everything i learned is in this thread. i know its long and i ramble alot but it has everything in it except for engine build pics. if you ask tim (turboturtle) nicely maybe some will appear in the next few weeks when my engine build starts.

#40 ·
i'll post pics of your engine if you want while im building it. ive got some pics of the last few engines ive built. they are pretty much just like any ford or mazda engine on the inside. nothing fancy to see

#42 ·
thats killer power....i bet that car is a ton of fun to drive.

#45 ·
Alright so oil pump gears make a difference as well then. never even considered them. Ill defiantly be looking forward to some pictures and i plan to start buying internals at the end of next month, then ill get a good turbo setup. and a tune! then from there ill start replacing what is necessary, to slowly up the power and boost.

i'm going to have to start my own build thread!

#47 ·
Well I'm on page 16 of 51.. my god you were not kidding about a long read! lol

i saw the talk about tuning, parts, etc. around $10,000 for 450HP. and i thought.. sell my SVT.. buy another Subaru like i use to have.

but i only paid $4,000 for my SVT. so were talking $14,000-$16,000. cheaper then my Subaru WRX by ten grand. and a 450HP focus should kick a STI's ass. stock. and on top of that i sold the subie due to engine work alone to make it faster would have been around 10 grand alone... way more expensive to mod up. and lets face it, no matter what car a car enthusiast gets. a car enthusiast will want to make faster!

So im not backing down, this is what i want to do, and this is the car i want to do it to. Its still cheaper then most. but grip... what can be done? this will be the hardest part by far. and i didnt know you had to Report the cylinders for new rods and pistons. i assumed you just replaced them. im starting to think ill have Tom build me a engine. i think he said $3,000? some where around there. thats basically what it cost in parts anyway right? but shipping would be expensive as hell i bet.

i think i want 450HP and ill call it good. any more then that and i think ill just be doing burnouts all over the tracks.. i am making this my track car after all. what should i do for suspension setup with such a high amout of power?

#50 ·
you dont NEED to bore the cylinders out when putting in a forged bottom end. you can buy pistons with a factory bore. HOWEVER i look at it like this. if you build the engine and at ANY point in the future get into the position where you have to bore the cylinders out MORE to fix a problem you would have to buy the larger overbore pistons AND pay for machine work again. why bother? if that were to occur you could just buy a junk yard block for $100 and get it machined out to the overbore that you already have and save money. because chances are you wont be able to destroy one of those pistons unless something really REALLY bad happens. also you wont kinow whether you need to bore your cylinders out for sure until you get the engine apart and have the block at a machine shop and by then you will want your pistons. so you may as well just get an overbore piston to have it on hand instead of waiting until after the machine shop gives you the news and then having to wait another week or two for the pisons to be delivered.

unfortunately there isnt alot you can do about traction. good aftermarket suspension of your choice, make sure every bushing in the car is still solid and preferably polyurethane, put the widest wheel and tire you can fit under the front under it and look for a set of lakewood traction bars and pray you can find them. they are awful hard to come by nowadays.

if you are going to drag race the car you will want the suspension in the rear to be as stiff as possible. invest in a set of 15x8 wheels or wider if you're feeling spunky to put slicks on as well. be careful if you have SVT brakes because some 15 inch wheels wont clear them. if you run slicks be mindful about launching the snot out of the car. you can break an axle or transmission mount bracket if you launch too hard. some people get hundreds of hard launches without issue and some people bust on the first one. just letting you know. fortunately axles and tranny mount brackets arent very expensive for the focus. if you replace an axle only use motorcraft axles. other brands are made of weaker material.

this is my logic. use it or discard it as you please

#55 ·
i used oversized as well. that way the cylinder walls got honed and its almost like a new block inside
X A BILLION 85.50 piston in my old car

#54 ·
What do lakewood traction bars do? i'm not real tech savvy when it comes to traction control set up stuff. Ive never messed with it on a car before. And yes, i think Built is better then bought to. and you know you car better. so after a build like this. if something goes wrong.. ill probably know what happened immediately vs trying to figure it out. i had problems with my old scion now and then at the track. but i did everything under the hood so when something did go wrong i normally would be sitting in the seat thinking something like "Shit, the inter cooler piping just popped off again dammit" so you know your car more thoroughly.

And i don't plan to drag race, i will for fun but that's not what i want to build it for. i want to race in open lapping events, and autocross type stuff. so i need a suspension build for taking turns well and the better control the better! and for starts with brakes ill just get Drilled and slotted rotors for now and see if that feels safe enough when i'm running around the track. First, Power!

And i havent asked or seen. can the stock 6 Speed SVT Transmission handle 450HP? just a better clutch is needed right? i hope so..

and i wonder if tom includes boring out the head in that price. if its not needed i can replace the internals myself. i'm just scared it will need to be bored when i open it up. i'm not sure how to even tell once looking at it if i open it up.

#59 ·
put a quaife or torsen limited slip differential in the transmission. you will explode the stock diff and it will grenade your entire transmission if it does. ask me how i know

get adjustable coil overs if you are going to do handling racing. the lakewood traction bars help keep the front tires planted firmly on the pavement basically and they can also help firm up the suspension for better handling if you set it up for that. but they are ridiculously hard to find now so you may as well not worry about the lakewoods.

and the supra getrag is a completely different design from the svt one. they are just made by the same company which happens to be 20 minutes away from my house [:)] they make good quality transmissions but dont assume that because a supra getrag can hold that much power that a svt getrag can as well.

i highly HIGHLY recommend EBC slotted rotors with yellowstuff pads and russel stainless braided lines. no need to have then drilled, the slots vent more than enough gas. i have torture tested mine by repeatedly taking the car to over 100mph and then braking to about 40mph as hard as i can without sliding and then repeating over and over upwards of 6 or 7 times and also rode the CRAP out of them coming down the mountains to TRY and make them fade. i have never had even a hint of brake fade and at any time they have the capability to lock down all 4 tires. imo they are the best brakes money can buy. get the front AND rear

elaborate more on what you mean by tom boring out the head. im not sure i understand what you mean

#64 ·
okay man. seriously stop being a douche. you basically said apples and oranges are the same thing because they both grow on trees. what you said would lead a person to believe that either the SVT focus getrag is the same trans used in a supra or that because a supra getrag can hold a shit ton of power that a focus getrag can as well. i am not saying the focus getrag is junk because it is NOT. we just dont have a definitive number on how much power it can really take because there are so few people who actually push it before switching to a lentech ATX or some alternative transmission setup besides the getrag/mtx. i wasnt being a dick about what you said, i was simply pointing out that what you said wasnt entirely pertinent to the question asked. so in short, stop being a damn troll when all someone is trying to do is help!

#61 ·
Well everyne has their own biased opinion. Chris getrag has held this much hp with no probs so that must be a good sign so far. Idk what kind of trans the zeeco car had. From what I gadther if ur focus nts tomake power for time on a strip then the lentech is the way to go IMHO

#62 ·
What is a quaife or torsen limited slip differential? and those breaks sound awesome.. i see them online for 185 a pair which seems fair. and the lines and pads will be easy. so that will all work with the stock components! thanks god! i like easy.

can you find a picture of the lakewood bars? maybe i can have a local machine shop fabricate something up for me? worth a shot!

and by boring out heads, i mean getting bigger pistons and making the cylinders wider in the block.

and what is quaife or torsen limited slip differential? and is it hard to install?

EDIT:
well never mind on the lake woods... that's one complicated several pieces of metal. i was thing it was two straight bars. if only..

i found a picture.. looks like it'd be hard to make from a picture. no anyone selling any? they don't work with stock SVT headers from what im reading. but i guess that's no problem since i'm going turbo

#65 ·
What is a quaife or torsen limited slip differential? and those breaks sound awesome.. i see them online for 185 a pair which seems fair. and the lines and pads will be easy. so that will all work with the stock components! thanks god! i like easy.

can you find a picture of the lakewood bars? maybe i can have a local machine shop fabricate something up for me? worth a shot!

and by boring out heads, i mean getting bigger pistons and making the cylinders wider in the block.

and what is quaife or torsen limited slip differential? and is it hard to install?

EDIT:
well never mind on the lake woods... that's one complicated several pieces of metal. i was thing it was two straight bars. if only..

i found a picture.. looks like it'd be hard to make from a picture. no anyone selling any? they don't work with stock SVT headers from what im reading. but i guess that's no problem since i'm going turbo
quaife and torsen are the 2 best brands of limited slip differentials to choose from for the focus. quaife has a lifetime warranty even if the car is raced so if you break it quaife gives you another for free. these run nearly a grand. torsen is very good as well but offers no warranty and is half the cost. there are VERY few people who have managed to break either diff. basically the difference between the LSD and factory diff is that with the factory diff only 1 wheel will spin when you spin tires and it will pop if you abuse it too much even with a bone stock car. with the LSD both tires will spin when you peel out. this means better traction and higher exit speeds when under hard accelleration out of corners. i highly recommend professional installation for this unless you are extremely mechanicallly inclined. you have to take the transmission apart to install it.

yes EBC brakes are great. all you need for your svt will be 2 front and 2 rear rotors with respective pads and a russel stainless steel braided brake line kit for a SVT focus. make sure the brake line kit is not for a zx3 or any other type of focus other than SVT because the lines for the SVT are different.

like i said earlier. the lakewood traction bars are extremely hard to find because none have been made in quite some time. you might get lucky and find a used set for sale at some point but to the best of my knowledge no company has any left in stock to sell new. i have had my feelers out for months hoping to come across a set for myself with no success as of yet. you would most likely need a custom down pipe anyway to run them.

And, currently. My AC does not work. and im starting to notice most Rally like cars dont... should i fix it? or just remove the whole AC system and put in a roof scoop for fresh air like most track cars?

Speaking of track cars, check this out! almost all these guys have have Roof scoops for fresh air. i'm considering it... its not my daily driver so maybe i should just pull it out. but AC on a hot track day sounds nice. but also robs engine power.. not to mention around 100lbs of weight. and are these cars rearwheel drive? looks like both maybe..
do whatever you want as far as the a/c goes. that is entirely up to you. if you have a turbo kit on the car making gobs of power then the power that gets drained by the a/c would be negligible anyway. but if you put a roof scoop on the car for fresh air then what will you do to keep water out when it rains? you could plug it but i still would be willing to be it will leak.

if it is a full on rally focus then it is likely AWD or RWD. no there is no simple way for an average joe to make an awd or rwd focus.

#63 ·
And, currently. My AC does not work. and im starting to notice most Rally like cars dont... should i fix it? or just remove the whole AC system and put in a roof scoop for fresh air like most track cars?

Speaking of track cars, check this out! almost all these guys have have Roof scoops for fresh air. i'm considering it... its not my daily driver so maybe i should just pull it out. but AC on a hot track day sounds nice. but also robs engine power.. not to mention around 100lbs of weight. and are these cars rearwheel drive? looks like both maybe..

#66 ·
#67 ·
good point on the AC.. i think it will cost around 100$ to fix it. id definitely rather have it. and ill ply just go with torsen since its half the price and very rarely busted. if i however bust one down the road.. ill get the one with a lifetime warranty. right now ill save as much as i can for the build.

so basically im down to needing a list of engine internals, and whatnot for 450HP range. and i guess we need to talk about Fuel returns and bigger fuel pumps? i know ill need bigger injectors too and all that fun stuff. not sure about how to go about my turbo setup yet, but ive done custom turbo setups before on friends cars as well as mine. so thats the only part of this i completely understand. first, ill build the engine so i dont have to worry about blowing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.