Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Titanium Handling pkg vs Titanium 18" wheels

8K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  rjgfocus 
#1 ·
My car (2013 titanium) came with the 18" wheels (and summer tires), but NOT the titanium handling package. Beyond the full size spare tire, is there really any difference between the two? I think the wheels (and tires) are identical, and I think the suspension is the same. What else does the handling package come with?

On a side note, the whole 18" wheel thing is confusing. The sticker cost for the 18" wheels is identical to the sticker for the handling package - and on Ford's "build it" website, it's not possible to select the 18" wheels WITHOUT the handling package... yet I see lots of local dealers have the 18" wheels on their titanium's without the full handling package... For example: http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FADP3N2XDL332417&ref=VL

#4 ·
Well, according to Ford the handling pack includes "Optimized sport suspension components" and I know that the handling pack includes hardware that keeps the wheels from reaching full-lock so the wider tires don't rub.

So that would be something you would have to discuss with your dealer.

#5 ·
Check ETIS, if you have the handling package wheels there's a 90+ % chance that it will list the suspension as being the handling suspension, not the touring suspension which is the standard Ti suspension.

The spare wheel is supposed to be a 16" steel wheel with the SE spec contiprocontact tire, not another 18" wheel.

The mini spare tire is narrower.

If you have the mini spare tire then it's more likely either a production mixup, or a dealer swapped part.

#7 ·
Does your sticker have the 18" wheels on it, if not you have a regular Ti and the dealer probably swapped the wheels from your car to a Ti with the handling package. regular Ti's and all other focii come with the mini spare, only the Ti w/handling package gets the full size spare. Also the foam block under the spare tire cover should be about 6" thick on the handling pack to clear the full size spare. regular Ti's get a 3" block and any other focus that has the sony/MFT radio, and plain radio focii gets a 1 1/2" block.

#8 ·
Honestly, I wouldn't know how to identify the handling suspension on etis. Here are the springs listed:

BV61-5310-MD* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-MD* Right Front Coil
BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

The spare and wheels are listed (on etis) as:

With Steel Spare Wheel
With Conventional Spare Tyre

8 X 18 ET 55MM Alloy Style 2

If the "full sized" spare is actually supposed to be 16" (and not 18") then it's possible that I do have the "full sized." For some reason, I assumed "full size" would mean the same size as the 4 wheels already on the car.

As for foam spacers, I have no idea if I have spacers or not. When I look under the hatch "floor" board, there's a styrofoam looking grid thing with the spare tire in the middle "compartment" and what appears to be an amplifier on the left front compartment (and several other empty compartments.)

Also have this on etis: With Handling Suspension

#9 ·
Yes its a dissimilar full sized spare wheel and tire assembly, not a temporary duty one.

With Handling package suspension is your answer - This says your car was built as a THP package car..

Your car is a Ti with the handling package and the "toy" spare tire is actually a 16" 215/55/r16 contiprocontact which would be the main wheel size for a 2012+ Focus SE model with 16" wheels.

Those "styrofoam" spacers are there to hold the hatch floor off of the spare tire, as well as cradling the amplifier and the fuel filler for the capless fuel system to gas can adaptor.

#11 ·
"full size" is a bit of a misnomer, they should probably call it a "permanent spare", or something like that. It's not the same size as the other wheels/tires, but it can be used for long periods of time, unlike the mini spares the rest of the line gets.

#12 ·
Since the documentation says with dissimilar full sized spare this should be clear enough, but apparently not. [scratch]

Note: Your vehicle may be equipped with a dissimilar spare tire and
wheel assembly. A dissimilar spare tire and wheel assembly is defined as
a spare tire and wheel that is different in brand, size or appearance from
the road tires and wheels. If you have a dissimilar spare tire and wheel
assembly, it is intended for temporary use only and should not be used
in a tire rotation.
From the second printing of the 2013 Focus owners guide pg 293

#14 ·
okay, well I guess I have the full handling package, then. I have to admit that I'm disappointed in my "full size spare" being not quite as full sized as my other 4 wheels/tires, but I guess some animals are more equal than others.

As a somewhat related question; is it my imagination, or does the hatch seem to handle a bit better than the sedan? Maybe it's only because it's more compact... (I had a bit of fun driving home from work today.)

#18 ·
That is also a 2012 sticker

Could be that the 2013 Sticker just doesn't say "handling package" or "full size spare" and may only say "18" Wheel package"

Can any '13 Ti owners verify that?

#19 · (Edited)
I saw several Ti's on the dealer's lot with the wheels listed but not the handling package.

#20 ·
This is the only reference mine gave

It has the handling package, full spare and 18" wheels.

I do hate the full spare though. I want to buy the mini spare along with the correct foam inserts to get 3" of space back. If they actually gave a 18" wheel that matched what was on the car I wouldn't mind as much. There is no way I will run a steelie for more than a day or so.

#21 ·
I do hate the full spare though. I want to buy the mini spare along with the correct foam inserts to get 3" of space back. If they actually gave a 18" wheel that matched what was on the car I wouldn't mind as much. There is no way I will run a steelie for more than a day or so.
I agree. I would think that ford would include the temporary spare in all vehicles to save weight. The only argument I can think of to have the full size spare is that because of the wider tire, a donut would throw the handling way off. Could be wrong though...

#24 ·
I didn't pay attention to the spare tire on my sticker, but was pleasantly surprised when I had a flat one day and pulled out the spare to realize it was the full-size spare. I drive A LOT and don't want to be stuck with a limited-use tire that I can only do 50 MPH with.

#27 ·
That's because it didn't have the exact same speed and load ratings as the original road wheel and tire combination. However since it's a full size wheel that was the same as many 2012 Focus SEs came with as well as the same tire with full depth of tread it can be used at full road speeds and longer than a mini spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.