Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

645K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  alex_5161 
#1 ·
My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
This is very interesting. I searched the net and found this forum because my car clunks or rattles a bit over bumps and it is driving me crazy but I haven't been able to find the cause. A strut or sway bar link would be vaguely consistent with the sound I'm hearing. I now also notice it sometimes when I start the engine. Like you mention it wasn't there new but has been getting steadily worse. It is bad enough now that I think a service technician would likely acknowledge it.

If the best they could do was grease, well that's just not good enough. The car is great in many ways but I can think of at least a dozen details that are sort of half-baked and maybe this is one of them.

I've got the car up on ramps now because I was going to go look again for something loose. Do you know which bushing they greased? I can't imagine anyone actually thinking that could be a permanent correction to this problem but it is an important data point.

#7 ·
I am going to take it back for the next oil change soon and schedule the time to get that readdressed. I can't go for very long without my car.

It's like a .. knock.. knock .. knock.. when the suspension moves. .. after say 15 mph the road noise drowns out the sound.

#8 ·
I have heard the noise in my focus as well but mine is an SE with the sport package. Also heard the same story as yours awhile back; Took it in they acknowledge the problem but determined everything was as it was suppose to be. I was thinking it might have to do with the firmer suspension components giving some unwanted vibration. Something the engineers may have overlooked.

#12 ·
The mount was defective. It was found only after struts were replaced. It stumped all the mechanics so they had a guy from detroit diagnose. He held the brakes while rocking it back and forth and found a lot of play. Ford should know they have a problem with some of these.

#17 ·
same noise

I have the same noise at low speeds while breaking and/or going over irregular road surface at low speeds. It didnt do it when purchased but slowly got louder/worse. Took it to dealer and they said they didnt hear anything and sure thing, when i picked it up it wasnt doing it, so i waited a couple more weeks until it got worse. Took it to another dealer and they couldnt hear, so we did a ride along and i pointed it out to the mechanic and he quickly said is was normal, it was the brake calipers moving on there track, he said he could pack it full of grease and a month later the noise would be back, he said its normal on smaller cars to hear that specific noise....after seeing this thread i say B S. Its going back to dealer asap.

#21 ·
That's a great idea. I'm hearing the same noises. It's almost like an old lifted trucks springs creaking. Strut and/or motor mounts seem reasonable suspects. Cant you guys who have had this problem fixed somehow scan your work orders to this thread?
It would be a good thing to have in hand when I visit the stealer next.

#23 ·
Hi guys. I have the same issue with my Focus. For those who had the engine mount replaced, do you know which one it was? I had some of the suspension components replaced but the low speed noise is still there. The dealer ordered one mount ( the one under the tranission I believe.)

#27 ·
I have the same sound on my SEL. I took it into the dealer and they had it a week. They replaced the strut and the sound is still there! Are these mechanics deaf? [8] I have to take it back in soon. [?|]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.