Focus Fanatics Forum banner

02 ford focus Check engine read trick

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mikew 
#1 ·
Once upon a time i came across a post somewhere on the net of a method using a light pen(w/e they're called) to touch some wire under the hood, and the bulb will flash the engine codes.

I know some of you will say get a code reader but here in Canada they cost upwards of 300, and there no shop which reads them for free(60 bucks)

Plus i know i got a cat deficiency code that i have yet to replace the cat. But i have suspicions some other sensor has gone so hopefully someone here knows of this method to read the code and can share this knowledge, thanks guys

#2 ·
Remember that from some pre-OBDII cars, some even had the test of that type built in under the hood.

For ours, the "ODO trick" can get you part way there (only gives code #'s).

It's detailed in the "stickies" at the top of this page, but basically all you have to do is hold the reset button while turning it on to get into a diagnostic mode. From there you can "toggle" through different functions by pressing the button repeatedly. This is often used to get numeric readings for temp, tach. etc.. it'll also give you any codes, then someone can help with what the numbers mean....

Luck!

#4 ·
this has been explored before, as I know for a fact one of the codes will read a cat malfunction. But on the odo codes doesn't show this at all. It has also been said that the odo has only basic codes and is not used for diagnostics but for use in testing from the dealership. The odo test mode does not give you engine trouble codes. Least not mine and according to other also.

Ill go try again tho and post anything i find.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.