Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tail light Tint

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  lstat 
#1 ·
Hello All,
Anyone ever tried to tint your tail lamps using film covers? If so, was it easy to install and can you post a picture of your results?

Fswerk.com sells a Lamin-X Tail Light Kit for $60 +shipping/tax
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...il-light-kit-ford-focus-coupe-sedan-2008-2011

I'm looking into getting these for my 2013 SE/Hatch. Has anyone tried these and are they a good product to buy? If you guys can post a picture and indicate which color you're using. (TINT, GUNSMOKE, SMOKED, CHARCOAL, RED). Thanks!

-----
BlueByYou28
2013 Performance Blue SE 5dr w/201A & 17" Machine Black Wheels

#3 ·
i bought the gun smoke tint off fs werks. took it to the local window tint place and took him a good couple of hours to do it. only problem i have is when you do it you have to stretch it a lot and along the side where the hatch(5 door) hits the tail light i have bubbles form. ill post pictures later tonight. i have the white hatch with sport package and it makes the car look a lot better

#5 ·
well, sanding is reversible if you think about like headlight restoration.. right?
I have a buddy who did his and they turned out perfect with no sanding at all, and he reversed it to sell with just nail polish remover. the can actually says that you don't need to sand to get the best result. do have the lights literally right next to eachother though or you will NEVER get them exactly the same.

#6 ·
Sanding technically could be reversible but it would definitely take some work. Ive heard the best thing to get nite shade off is actually just to pour straight gasoline on the lights and then rub with a cloth. My nite shade came out weird and almost botchy but I think its because I did it in the cold. I might redo them when it warms up some more.

#7 ·
Nightshade or Rustoleum lens tint, no sanding. Just like you said, totally reversible with just gasoline and cloth. You mistake, you remove, you do again.

I like the idea and added protection of tint, but out is quite complicated. I'm sure that someone has done it correctly, but most anytime I've heard of people trying it it hasn't gone well.

#8 ·
Lamin-X is great if you follow the istructions and warm it BEFORE putting it on. You can use a hair dryer to heat it up more as you install it to aid in adhearing and stretching.

#9 ·
Want to do my tail lights all red or leave a sliver clear like audis I feel like red vht will be easier than laminx after trying to tint my mirror blinkers.. (fail) anyone else like the all red tail lights? I'm not a big fan of dark tinted tails even on black.

#10 ·
I used a scouring pad to lightly sand the surface of my head/taillights and then Nightshaded them. They all turned out well, the only issue is my reverse lights are a little hard to see during the day because I made them a little too dark. Everything I have been told is that using something like Nightshades is the easier route to take rather than having film tint installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.