Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Weird problem

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  jalissa01 
#1 ·
So my car has been driving awesome for the last 2 years, but today something weird happened. I sped up in 2nd gear and got to around 6k rpms and when I put it in neutral to coast, the car died. I got some groceries, got in the car and tried it again thinking maybe I did something, but the exact same thing. I tried it in 1st gear and got my rpms to around 6k and it was fine.

#5 ·
So my car has been driving awesome for the last 2 years, but today something weird happened. I sped up in 2nd gear and got to around 6k rpms and when I put it in neutral to coast, the car died. I got some groceries, got in the car and tried it again thinking maybe I did something, but the exact same thing. I tried it in 1st gear and got my rpms to around 6k and it was fine.

Also, the car turns on fine right after it happens like nothing ever happened. It just dies, then coasts and I turn it back on real quick. Accelerates normal and drives fine
It sounds like the engine is being starved for either: Air, fuel, or a spark to ignite them all.
It could be a lot of potential things. The fuel pump, the fuel filter (cheaper to replace!), dirty MAF, dirty throttle body, or a myriad of other things.

The fact that you say it runs fine, but will stall out, and then start up again fine like nothing happens makes me agree with wintuk. It is probably fuel related.

You should definitely look into replacing the fuel filter. They are generally in the $20 USD range.
According to my local auto parts stores costs, it falls closer around: $10.

You can also go to auto parts stores, and borrow (100% free! No tax) a fuel pressure tester, and use the schrader valve (if you have one) on your vehicle to check.

#6 ·
If it's running up to 6K then not fuel. He says it dies after letting off or going to neutral. Could be IAC or TB aircrack carboned up, which are supposed to take up idle throttle when letting off, or could be nothing. I used to hotrod both bikes and cars, sometimes dying after a hard pass was the norm, nothing wrong there at all other than whatever is supposed to maintain idle speed is not working as well as it should. The main reason for damping dashpots on oldschool carbs in the later '70s and '80s was this very thing. They simply made up a device that slowed the engine speed from dropping so fast, a 6000 to 700 rpm drop has a tendency to keep dropping, inertia, you know.

#8 ·
What a question. If you continue to zing the motor to 6k and let off, then expect the same result. Those things don't fix themselves.

My suggestion? Get one of these...........

'They simply made up a device that slowed the engine speed from dropping so fast'

It's called your right foot.................I've been doing it for 40+ years when the need shows. Basic physics, young jedi.

#10 ·
Could be one thing, or a combination of many - Not a "normal" driving pattern as mentioned - and not uncommon in the particular circumstances.

As amc mentioned, the engine is slowing fast and tends to keep doing so in this circumstance. It's got ONE chance to "catch" before continuing to a stop, and the slightest "misfire" for example would be enough that it dies at that point.

Plugs/boots not quite perfect, an injector a bit dirty, IAC a little slow to respond, you could chase the issue quite expensively without solving it if all possiible suggestions were followed. That's probably a major reason for a lack of suggestions to "solve" the problem.

Drive it as is, see if it does anything similar at other times, consider "tune up" type maint. if not done recently (plugs, fuel filter) and see how it goes for now.

Luck!

#14 ·
Have a look at the TB inside, if it has any buildup around the throttle blade idle setting. Clean it with like acetone on a clean towel, you can get pretty much most of it without removing the TB, that could help and cost nothing. May even help engine starting. Dirty IAC too or 'idle air control' valve.........but they suck getting to on these.

If car doesn't do it in normal driving around town, I'd tune it out of my head.

#16 ·
I am having about the same problem. When I turn on my car it has a lot of issues switching into gear; it dies sometimes multiple times. It is normally easy to start back up but occasionally it acts like the battery is dead and does not try to turn on. Also, my rpms seem to be all over the place. Here is a video of what it does, it dies at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez4mmQA539w also, it is making a lot of noise which is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0VsTt3-S0 Any Ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.