So I finally got my dead pedal (actually, all my pedals!) installed. I decided to go a slightly different route than some, and bought some velcro to replace the tape on the dead pedal. It's industrial strength Velcro brand velcro and does the trick. One 2x4" piece cut up covered the whole outer edge of the dead pedal.
Here are the pedals installed.
I almost left the white protective plastic on the dead pedal because of this:
Yes, that says Mondeo with an Ecoboost logo underneath it (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics). Not a very big fan of that. I'm going to have to find some way to cover that up or something...
Haven't taken the car for a drive yet with the new pedals, but sitting in my garage and playing with them they feel very good.