Focus Fanatics Forum banner

zx2 head on a zx3 engine

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
hi i have a 2000 zx3 manual runs good but i realy dont like the rpm i have a zx2 and the rpm are higher the say i can swamp the heats of the zx2 to my zx3 can it be possible all the specs shos it can be don i want to know if some one don it how did it came out to what spec did you rectify the heats and if you tune up your ecm for higher rpm

#4 ·
I think this is what he meant.

"Hi I have a 2000 zx3 manual it runs good, but I really don't like the max rpm limit. I have a zx2 and the rpm limit is higher than the zx3, can I swamp the heads of the zx2 to my zx3? Is it possible to do? All the specs show it can be done. I want to know if someone has done it and how did it come out? What mods have to be done to make it work and does the ecu need to be tuned?"

Also, Welcome to Focus Fanatics!!!

#10 ·
uhhh zx2 goes to around 7k... definatly not 6250?

but regardless if it revs more or not, you will need to get a vct delete if you want to use a zx2 head, and the vct deletes for the zx2 are hard to find... unless you can figure a way to wire in the use of the vct into your engine.

the vct is variable cam timing and it's on the exhaust cam (unlike the intake cam on the svt engines).

#12 ·
Ah I see, misunderstood that you were talking about peak power.

I was just explaining vct to him considering he is new to the forum I figured it might be good context to add.

and If i am understanding correctly, he is questioning if he can put a zx2 head (with VCT) unto a focus engine (without vct), therefore he would have to either get rid of the vct or figure how to wire it in. Am I misunderstanding something else?

#13 ·
i dont get why anyone cant see what he wants... he wants higher rpms, since the zx2 and zx3 heads perform the same, if he wants higher rpms, just swap out the valve springs from a zx2 into a zx3, then get a tune to change the rev limiter,

i'm basing my solution on what everyone's said here, im not sure if the zx2 engine does rev higher than a zx3 one, but valve float is solved by better springs at higher rpms...
tom's advice is best if you're aiming for hp.

#14 ·
don't do it. Swapping the head will only net minimum gains if any. The reason the ZX2 drives different is because it is lighter than the focus. Plus the ZX2 had a slightly higher horsepower rating than that of the focus in 2000.

The hassle of swapping the head is not worth it. Just listen to these guys who have been around a while as they have valuable experience behind them.

#15 ·
I'm actually looking for a zx3 head to put on my new engine build because it doesnt have vct :)

can you tell that i hate vct?

#17 ·
I make and sell the VCT Elim so you can run a regular adj cam gear

I never said the rev lim was set to 6250 just that it should rev to 6250 with no problem

There is no gain from adding a zx2 head to the Focus , the valve springs are the same in both heads unless you have a hydrolic cam zx2 head

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.