Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Best product for this?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  zx5fanatic 
#1 ·
I have decided now that a majority of the mechanical work is done on my car to concentrate on the body work.

The worst area of scratching is near the door handles, although I have not much knowledge regarding paintwork I am pretty sure it is only Clear Coat scuffs.

I have been reading up on car detailing especially compounding and polishing.

I don't have a Machine to polish the car with and so going attempt by hand. I understand the process of using the least abrasive first but do you guys think that just this alone will get rid of the worst scuffs on the car.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/glazes/meguiars-ultimate-polish/prod_874.html

Or will I need this First and then the polish

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/meguiars-ultimate-compound/prod_554.html

Any advice and tips on technique or other products would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Guys

See less See more
#4 ·
Use the Ultimate Compound on the worst areas first, follow-up with the Ultimate Polish, then coat with your favorite wax/sealant (Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax). If you have an area that isn't too badly damaged, the Polish may be all you'll need to remove scratches, followed by the wax/sealant.

It's a good idea to use a clay bar on all the surface BEFORE you begin to compound or polish. If you're not going to do the whole car at one time (since you're working by hand), just clay the area that will be compounded. Clay will remove wax, so be sure to finish polishing and add your wax.

#5 ·
Thank you for your information guys its been a great help.

The pics do make it look worse than it is. It is a 13 year old car that has never really had any detailing treatment ie. quality shampoo, waxing and so the weather and road use has taken its toll on the coat over many years.

When I have a good few days at it hopefully will fully restore it back to new.

HCAutoDetail is Car detailing a good business to get into. There are not many people over here that do it just alot of average car washes. Depending on results on my car its something I'm looking into doing.

Any advice with the business?

Cheers

#6 ·
HCAutoDetail is Car detailing a good business to get into. There are not many people over here that do it just alot of average car washes. Depending on results on my car its something I'm looking into doing.

Any advice with the business?

Cheers
Is it a good business to get into? The simple answer, yes, and an easy business to get into as well. So, if you want a longer drawn out answer ...

Detailing as a whole is unregulated. No accreditations or licenses to say you're a true detailer, or a hack (no harm intended to the hacks). You can honestly buy a buffer and a vacuum and open your business if you want to be a mobile detailer!

Now if you want to be a true detailer, and a good business man/woman, there are simple rules to follow as with any other business. Get a local business license, get insurance, open a website, and READ!! The internet provides more information than you can ever absorb on how to start your own biz. There are dozens of detailing specific websites that give advice and tips on what to do and not do. My tip is to read all of the detailing websites you can find, start with Autogeek.net and Autopia.org.

But first, make sure you can stand the rigors of polishing on a car for hour after hour!

#7 ·
I used the Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 the other day and was amazed at how well it covered up a couple of long scratches I had along the passenger side of my car. I wish I had taken before and after pictures because before I could see the scratches from over 15ft away and now I can barely see them from 3ft away.

I tried using it on some other scratches that were a little bit deeper, but didn't have as much luck. I will continue to use this product though, it amazed me. I would give it a try near your door handles. I also had some scratches there and it helped a little bit. I will apply it some more when the weather gets warmer again.

#9 ·
I used the Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 the other day and was amazed at how well it covered up a couple of long scratches I had along the passenger side of my car.
Just making an adjustment to your wording, and maybe to your thinking, ScratchX does not "cover up" scratches. It IS a compound and by design REMOVES scratches and blemishes. You are also removing any wax protection you may have had, so be sure to reapply your favorite wax/sealant.

Glad to hear it worked though!

#8 ·
I use nufinish scratch remover and all year round polisher

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.