Originally Posted by Fraychild
Personally, I think I will be cutting the back housing to open it up, I tried the baking one in the oven and that wasn't successful... I'm thinking about painting/blacking out the chrome reflector around the Projectors and blacking out the chrome parts to make it look like the Ti headlight but leave the chrome around the High Beam too. I don't think I'll do any LED/LED strips in mine because I don't plan to ever open up the housing in the future to repair or replace anything... lol
I'm torn between the Morimoto H1 and D2S projectors though... it seems like the D2S ones are slightly smaller in overall dimensions, but would fit exactly the same... Wouldn't a D2S bulb be better in terms of light output and replicating an "OEM" approach?
I opened up my headlights using heat gun only and found the best tool was a butterknife back edge to bend back the overlapping plastic. If you melt back the tab all the way around making sure the head gun flow is directed away from the clear plastic cover. You will be able to fold back the lip about 4" per section before you have to reheat. After the lip is folded back all the way around (about 1 hour per headlight) then use a sharp utility razor to score the back edge of the 3m gasket cement, reheat and start cutting and pulling out sections fo the space glue Ford uses. When you can see the edge of the clear outer lens exposed, start in the outside corner of the lens at the sharp point and heat the corner black back housing. Gently bend back the black plastic and the clear lens corner will pop out from the rear black housing. Now you can ease the butterknife around ubnder the lip of the clear lip and you'll see the clear lens separate from the black space gasket glue (the lens edge will show clear as it breaks it's bond from the back housing). Once you see clear all the way around, start pulling from the scarp outside corner to remove the lens from the body.
I installed a large led strip, soldered two together to match length I wanted, ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
) on the top of the crome headlamp assembly and used GOOP automotive adhesive to secure the LED lights to the black housing underneath the lip (i'll post pics tonight).
I resealed the lights after removing the space gasket glue and used the same 3m gasket glue ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
) to reseal the headlamps, then used the heatgun to carefully melt the plastic lip back down and pushed with the flat edge of the butter knife to reseal. After everything was dry, I masked off the lenses and used plack plasti dip to spray around the seam in a few coats since I was worried about condensation and ran my led wires out of the top gasket hole next to the outside top edge of the headlamps. I did get condensation the next day (and it was raining) so I assumed that it was just the heat from the lamps after reassembly. I will put silica packs in the housing for a few days and check it again, if I still have condensation, i will reseal again with plasti dip.
It is a very cool mod for less than $20 and looks factory if you take your time. I already have the vent led lights on the front grill so i was able to slimply splice into the wire housing for those. Looks very cool and since it is a straight led line from side to side, it looks meaner than the audi's with the swooping curved led and better than the chinese led lenses. I am pleased with the mod. I'll post pics soon.