Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Hid question

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Joeywhat 
#1 ·
I have had my HIDS for over a year now and constantly had problems with them flickering and bulbs discoloring. I read on the forum that for the 12' focus a 35 watt ballast is required. Does anyone know any truth to this or have any suggestions?

#3 ·
What brand are they? Alot of em are kinda junky.
If its your actual kit id replace it with a kit from these guys theretrofitsource.com
They have top notch products

Sent from my LG-LG730 using FF Mobile
I am not sure ill have to take a look. I bought them from sound of tri state which is a specialty shop in my area that specializes in this. I spent good money on the kit. It was a 100 kit than an additional 30 for the relays.

#6 ·
Not true,
I had used a 35w AC (digital) slim ballast without any issues for about 6 months(you still have to use a 12v 30/40amp relay and 50w 6ohm resister though). I recently upgraded to a different temp (4300k - like OEM) and 55w AC ballast, it works just like the 35w (no issues at all), but has MUCH more light output (no blue tint at all... just pure white). If you are using quality digital AC ballasts, xenon bulbs and wiring connectors, as well as using a properly wired in relay and resistors, you should never have any problems. My DRL's even work properly with the HID setup.

#16 ·
It's probably easiest to just buy a quality kit made specifically for the MK3 Focus.

I mounted my ballasts on some plastic supports inside the engine bay. I've seen some folks mount them directly to the headlights, not sure if there's enough room for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.