Focus Fanatics Forum banner

I need an old part number or a source. FUEL PUMP

760 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
I am working on a car for the sister in law and the fuel pump is out. It appears to never have had the recall work done, so the canister is the old style and no one has the old pump (napa, oriely, advance, autozone) Does anyone have the old pump number handy or a source for these old pumps. She only paid 250 dollars for this car and I'm doing all this on my dime so I'm not putting much into it. If I can't get the old pump for cheap she will just scrap it. The problem with the new assembly units are that 1. they are too expensive and 2. they require you to modify the tank some, and i'm already staying up till midnight to work on this thing half the time because I work late. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And before you ask, yes I have searched every way I know how.

#2 ·
Go to the junk yard and pull an old tank and pump? Try RockAuto.com. since their was a recall most likely you will not find it. It is unlikely a vendor will continue to support a product that was available for a free replacement at the time.

#5 ·
I have found doing Google searches on the part # they have listed and or looking at the vendors website sometimes has the picture. A call Monday morning also goes along way. They have excellent customer service.

#7 ·
Is the pump truly dead? If only the inlet screens clogged they can be cleaned with WATER and good as new, I did it on both my '00 and '02 and cars run fine years later with the original old design pumps. It only cost me the effort, paid not a cent. You can't keep driving car with the problem forever though, much of the success comes from catching it early before the clogged screen burns out the pump, it is fuel cooled.

Make sure you provide at least 3 gallons in tank before starting back up, even a new pump can burn up in a minute or so of dry running, you want it primed as quickly as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.