Originally Posted by swansong
With a salvage title, I wouldn't be willing to pay more than half what they're asking. The SVT is getting rare, but not rare enough to have to settle for a salvaged one. I'd say be patient and wait for a nicer (and cheaper) one to pop up.
I own a perfectly functional 2003 salvage title SVT, and I still fully agree with the above. Salvage means any number of horrific things could be wrong with it. It might be perfectly fine, but it is not up to YOU to assume that risk. Wait until the price is ridiculously low, or look elsewhere. I was lucky, but you shouldn't risk it. There are plenty of good SVTs out there.