Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Surging idle upon startup

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  302Travis 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 zetec with an automatic. When the motor is cold and it isn't warm weather outside I will start it and it will have a surging idle for just a couple of seconds then act completely normal. If I tap the throttle when it's surging it will also clean up it's act even sooner than if i wait it out. Usually only lasts like 5 seconds or so though. Not sure what it could be. Anyone had this problem before?

#4 ·
^yeah, unless it is momentarily stuck open and takes a few moments to un-stick itself. If it happens every time you do a cold start, unplug the IAC electrical connector and try starting it.

Else, how high do the rpm's surge? Is it dumping fuel - what does the exhaust look/smell like during the surge?

#8 ·
We shall never know now. :( dick head pulled out in front of me at an intersection in a chevy colorado. Hit it in the rear axle at about 45mph totaling my poor Focus :( But... SHE TOOK A CHEVY TRUCK WITH HER! lol And a testament to God and the Focus's crash safety. I came out of it with about 4 scratches and a bruise. GO FOCUS!

#9 ·
Oh man so sorry to hear about that, good to hear your alright. We've had quite a few members walk away from crashes, so the focus has time and time again proved it's crash worthiness. Also glad you took a chevy out at least lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.