Focus Fanatics Forum banner

To Do List - Picking up New 2013 Ti

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Grutter 
#1 ·
Hello Fellow Focus Owners!

I ordered my 2013 Focus TI (Ruby Red, Auto, MFT - basically loaded except park assist) and I have been told that it will be ready for pick up this Friday. I want to prepare a "to do" list for myself of things I should do before signing receipt of the vehicle. After creeping the forums since my purchase I know well enough to take the car for a test drive first to check for any trasmission noise but I figured I would use one of my life lines and "ask the audience" for their help so I don't miss anything. Let me know what I should have on my list.

Thanks in advance for all the advice/input provided!

Leo

#2 ·
Congrats! Here's a quick run down of some important stuff:

-Test drive, as you said
-Check panel alignment (If a hatchback, take special note of the hatch and tail lights)
-Try all buttons/toys (especially MFT)
-Check it in the sun - Look for light/dark spots in the paint, swirls and scratches, rock chips too

-In short, check everything to be in perfect working order and in new, mint condition.

#4 ·
BEFORE you sign they will bend over backwards to do whatever it takes to get you to sign.
AFTER you sign, you are on your own, aside from the warranty.
So:
You need to inspect every inch of the car. The paint.. Is it free of 'orangepeel? is it evenly painted. (Some of the blue candy was poorly/unevenly painted, Check for scratches. tiny dents. check it in bright lighting. If the have it outside in the dark, or covered in snow. make them move in inside! At least into a brightly lit area.
Check hood, doors, hatch/trunk movement. are the seams OK, any wide or bits hitting on doors, hood, trunk/hatch?
Look at the wheels, any dings scratchs? Check the glass for scratches. The roof. If you have a moonroof open and close it. Check the seats, do the move OK? the steering wheel, move it around up down in out. move the electrical mirrors. try the parking brake.
Look at the interior seat fabric or leather, for marks, cuts, bad seams.

When you test drive it before you sign!! (they may say you have to sign first. no way. you get a test drive BEFORE you accept it. Check how the tranny behaves. Check the parking brake by leaving it on and trying to move (gently! just see if the car sort of bunches up.. do not drag the rear wheels!)
Check how the steering feels, the gizmos. scroll through the left steeringwheel screen. (in between speedo) Scroll through the right steering wheel screens (middle of dash screen) try various buttons in middle dash.

Make the salesman connect your phone to the system for you !!!
ANd show you how ,and make them show YOU so you know how to do it yourself.

When you are on the 25 mile test drive.. yeah make it more than a few blocks. This is $25,000 you are spending.!!
Check the handling and more than anything check the transmission behavior. See if it makes you happy.
If no problems then sign.

If problems you HAVE to get them IN WRITING to say how they are going to fix whatever, and the manager or service manager has to sign it, not the salesman.
Then.. after all that, sign.

If there is clear physical damage. walk out.
If they do not want to allow you a pre sign test drive walk out.
If the ywill not bring the car to a brightly lit area, walk.
Tell them you will come back when you CAN see the car and make the inspection and test drive.

Hope it never turns bad.. and you get a great car.

#5 ·
Great advice all the above.

I just picked up a 2013 SE, and my salesman did exactly all that, he took my wife through the car with a fine tooth comb, every button, every seat knob, front to back. By the time we left I can't think of almost anything that hadn't been tested and verified working. He even synced the iPhone :)

#8 ·
Here's a check list I compiled when I picked up my Escape, maybe not complete, but it helped me:

New Car Check List

Interior:
Headliner:
Sagging
Fit
Staining
Fit of leather/cloth on seats
Seat stitching
Power seat functions/memory
Rear seat fold flat function
Read headrest function
Steering wheel stitching
Shift knob stitching
Gaps where interior pieces meet
Dash fit/finish
Panels:
doors
rear cargo area
Carpet fitted properly
Check under seats
Check under seat air vents
Check spare & jack
Perimeter alarm
Ambient lighting/interior lighting
Passive key function
Remote start function
Rear tailgate function
Windows, one touch up/down
Locks
MFT/Radio/CD/USB
Speaker vibration
Side-view mirrors, function/memory
Heat/air-conditioner fan motor settings
Surfaces are clean

Exterior:
Paint:
body
inside doors and hatch
under hood
Doors, hood and panel gaps
Headlight and tail-light gaps
Hatch and door alignment and hang
Exterior plastic/chrome trim fit/gaps/finish
Body lines match up

Engine Compartment:
Oil level
Coolant level
Loose or missing clips
Loose screws
Leaks

Under Car:
Check wheel wells
Check tires and wheels
Check under body air dams

#9 ·
Hello Fellow Focus Owners!

I ordered my 2013 Focus TI (Ruby Red, Auto, MFT - basically loaded except park assist) and I have been told that it will be ready for pick up this Friday...
Congratulations on your new Focus, Leo! I recommend spending some time checking out the goodies available at http://owner.ford.com. You can download free copies of your Owner's Manual, get valuable coupons, and even schedule future maintenance appointments.

Be sure to post lots of pictures when you bring your Focus home!

Crystal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.