Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Nexus 7 or Ipad Mini

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JediFocus 
#1 ·
I played with both but don't know what would be better to install into my car. Also I was thinking form factor down the road. If they came out with a Nexus 7 II or an Ipad Mini2 if I can just swap them out with out really redoing the install. What are your guys opinion.

#4 ·
I'm very Google-biased (read: Not an Apple fan), but even if I was Apple-crazy, I'd still opt for a Nexus. For one, GOOGLE MAPS W/NAV ROCKS!! From what I'm hearing from my Apple-loving peeps, the mapping abilities of Apple products doesn't quite match that of G-Maps (yes, this includes the Apple G-Maps app). My other reason: Nexus is significantly less expensive!!

#5 ·
I am also a android fan (apple hater), so my opinion is a bit biased.

I tried to do a android dash in my car not too long ago, i ran into a few issues:

1. I wasn't able to find any really friendly apps at the time that would make car use friendly and intuitive. Im sure this has been fixed by now.

2. So far as I am aware, there is still no way to connect the tablet to steering-wheel controls to change volume, track, etc.

3. I wasnt able to have the tablet turn on when the car was started, or turn off when ignition was turned off. This meant I had to power it up and down each time. Powering up after a few days of non-use led to 10-15 minutes of battery charging before it could start playing music.

I still want to do it eventually, but #2 and #3 havent really been solved yet, so ill keep waiting.

#6 ·
Yea I dont even know if it would be worth it to have one professionaly installed. Nexus 7 does seem the way to go. Considering it does have a better mapping system. Its going to run me close to $700. Im am just wondering if a new exhaust and something else would be worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.