Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Modifications that are under $50!!!!

22K views 89 replies 29 participants last post by  stephenellis 
#1 ·
Post your under $50 modifications here!
(Second generation only please)**

#44 ·
LED reverse light from Vleds. Its a license plate frame with Cree LEDs built in. Very bright. I paid $35 when it was on sale.

#54 ·
Nothing to opening these headlights. Pop them in the oven and keep checking on them. If you don't like the oven method you can always use a heat gun.

My focus headlights were the easiest ive done. While they are open go ahead and do a projector retrofit [;)]

#56 ·
Rear swaybar from a junkyard ($15) with endlinks, and a friend of yours fabricating the brackets ($20). I can't wait for that to go on in the spring!

I'm still trying to find a set of SE healights on fleabay to bake and paint for mine

I plasti-dipped the chrome grille, plan on doing the same for the wheels and the center console area in the spring.

#69 ·
Idk if a How To is necessary, and this probably a really stupid question, but did you pop all that chrome off and then spray it outside? Is that even a spray?

How long ago did you do it? Quality?

Here is the write up I did on it.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270752

It took 3 minutes to take it off and put it on, add however long you want for spraying and drying. I have had problems with it getting chipped and needing it redone, I am going to dip in bleach over night, suppose to remove the chrome if that doesn't work then i'll hit it with plasti-dip in a
month or so.

The vents however, I just pry and picked at them slowly untill they came off and gave them a few coats of rattle can and clear coat, and haven't had any thing wrong with them...yet

#74 ·
I took my silencer out over the weekend. You don't even here a difference unless your over 3 grand. Does feel like it move a little easier though.

Question about the lunchbox delete though...

If the SES manual has the "sport tuned exhaust" or really just no lunchbox. and has 3hp more then the Auto.

Is it safe to say if I take out the the lunchbox, I'll gain 3hp?[dunno]

#76 ·
I removed the silencer, drove it home from work, cut out the lunchbox and stuck a turn down on it, installed a set of Copper Autolite 104's.

Result:

Silencer - As Stic-O stated, around 2,500 - 3,500 rpm you really hear it come to life. She has a nice little roar that is only audible if you want it to be.

Lunchbox - Removing the lunchbox made the exhaust a little throatier @ idle and throughout the rpm range but nothing overwhelming by any means. I drive 140 miles round trip to work 6 days a week so I didn't want anything too loud. I like the changes!

Plugs - I dunno if it actually made a difference but it sure seems like it has more pull throughout the rpm range but I feel like I noticed more down low and in the mid ranges.

Verdict - For $25.00 and about a half an hours worth of work (I have a saws all and a nice area to work in with easy access to tools) it was well worth the effort.

First pics I've posted of this car.

#80 ·
QUOTE=Miller88;4600315]Rear swaybar from a junkyard ($15) with endlinks, and a friend of yours fabricating the brackets ($20). I can't wait for that to go on in the spring!

I'm still trying to find a set of SE healights on fleabay to bake and paint for mine

I plasti-dipped the chrome grille, plan on doing the same for the wheels and the center console area in the spring.[/QUOTE]

I have a set I can let go for $120 plus shipping

#81 ·
Headlight tint, $10 hyper yellow fog light bulbs from amazon (although one of mine already burnt out), switchback turn signal LED bulbs and led bulbs for the interior and license plate lights. And can't forget the air freshener

#82 ·
Can do interior stuff for cheap if you have the know how. I did my headliner, door panels and parcel shelf in blue suede. Think I have 30 bucks in material and 15 in spray glue. Also did my dash and other interior pieces in white carbon fiber, maybe 20 bucks there too. A side note after reading this thread i now know how to pull the little chrome piece on my gear selector so thats getting done very soon as well in the carbon fiber. And I did my air vents in blue, maybe 20 bucks there too after primer, paint, clear and sand paper. All in all if you want cheap interior can make a big change for a little price. just gotta have the know how.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.