Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Alternator problem, please help
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #16
Capt. Obvious!
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
Fan#: 108055
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 S/C, 87 VW cabby, 98 Opel

FF Reputation: 1 Capt. Obvious! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I put the SCT flasher unit on it and tested for trouble codes (even though the CEL is off) and it came up with a P1246 - Generator Load Input Failed (All Others) It was at this point I realized that the CEL should probably be on as well as the Battery light. They do however come on initially when I start the car, and the battery light comes on if I unplug the voltage regulator. I don't know what to make of this, but it seems like it probably has something to do with my problem.

Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
You haven't mentioned checking the charging circuit fuse - fuse 10 - but I'll put it out there anyway.
Yeah, that was the first thing I checked when I realized the alternator didn't fix it. Without it I wouldn't be getting the power on the red wire. I would order the rebuild kit as you suggested but I really don't think it would help. I've replaced the alternator twice in the past week with new alternators from different companies and the symptoms have remained the same.
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
See link:
It explains the Pulse Width Modulation for Ford alternators
and another:

Thanks for the info. It left me a little confused though, I was under the impression that only the European cars had the "smart charge" feature, mine is US spec. Am I missing something?