Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Do I Have Knock Sensors?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dollarbillz 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to this forum just joined and a first time ford focus owner, in fact a first time owner of a new vehicle above the year 2000. I would like to know if my 2013 Ford Focus SE with the 2.0L GDI Engine Direct Injected w/ Flex Fuel has knock sensors, reason I am asking is I fill up premium 91 and want to fill up premium 94 but a friend advised against it saying it will wreck the engine? I did a search and know this has been answered for older models saying there is no real difference. However the manual of the 2013 SE says "Recommended Fuel 87" but doesn't mention anything about premium gas not being a problem. I did notice on fords site it said achieved using "Premium Gas" so is it alright to use it then or will it wreck the engine if I fill 94 Octane.

Thanks in advance for the help and look forward to being part of the community still getting used to the powershift transmission too.

#7 ·
The manual says 87 is recommended and that you should NOT go BELOW that, some areas have lower octane gas as their "regular". It also says that if you use higher octane gas, you'll benefit with slightly higher performance.

#8 ·
I switched to 87 for and tank and reset the l/100 km and the switched to 91 the next tank without reseting and the mileage immediately with a few minutes of driving went down from 8.7 to 8.5 and i was hauling it in rush hour.

#9 ·
Performance =/= fuel economy. There have been contradictory reports from members about whether or not they get better fuel economy as well, but the higher octane gas will technically give you a little more power, hence the "improved performance" aspect.

#11 ·
Older cars (2000 ish) had to be retuned to see any benefit from a change in octane in fuel. Im not sure if the new cars are programmed to automatically recognize the changed fuel and retune themselves to fit. In most cases, using a higher-octane than what is recommended can actually cause a loss in performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.