Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Passenger bearing out again...

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  drunkyoda 
#1 ·
probably 20k miles old... it is a Duralast

obviously i would like a better bearing. which brands have people used with good results?

If i order from Ford do i get the whole hub? With the bearing already pressed in?

#2 ·
The install is as important for bearing life as the manufacturer.
Anytime I hear of very short lifespan wheel bearings, I suspect the install was done wrong and the bearings were damaged during install.

#3 ·
We install a ton of Duralast bearings at work. We also warranty probably 65% of those bearings again because people are too cheap to go with a quality bearing. Duralast failure rates are nuts.

Order Timken, they've been the least problematic of any we've done.

#4 ·
I know it costs more but just go with the original OEM bearing, I used duralast, and other auto parts store bearings on my 04 rear i replaced it 3 times within a year. Then said screw it bought the ford on and havnt had any problem.

#5 ·
i saw on rockauto you can buy the whole front kit for like 30 sumthin... has anyone used this? brand is PRO i think. ford is like 20 bucks more which i may just fork over.

#8 ·
Timken, SKF are very good.

Plain old Motorcraft is said to be the best Shane.

I went with NAPA's on the rear so far so good.

When was your last alignment done? Take your car over to Les Schwab over on 16th S. by the big Walmart. They can tell you right then and there if it's out of wack.

#9 ·
i had my alignment done recently... also took my car there a coupe times already. they said it wasnt my bearing but they said they couldnt see anything else wrong... i replaced my axle and the noise is still coming from that side so it has to be the bearing. its a rotational noise.

#10 ·
Where did you get the axle?

Have you personally put the car up in the air?

#11 ·
Autozone axle. they are working fine. have not had a problem with them yet. we shall see. axle is lifetime and easy to replace though.

have not had the car in the air yet. although you can feel a bad bearing on the ground. i know i have felt it before. lol want to help me do a bearing this weekend if i can get one?

#12 ·
I might if you want to drive to Renton. This is the drivers side?

#17 ·
FYI, the O'Reilly's Masterpro version of Duralast part has the same shoddy quality, don't ask how I know as I won't tell you. Don't use any of those branded bearings.........................if a good brand bearing is failing you have not torqued it down right 90% of the time.

#21 ·
it is only about 190 sumthin for a zetec. i only weigh 220 but i may have used more than my body weight on it. XD

anyways if that didnt screw it up than it is just a shitty bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.