Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - PCV valve location?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97166
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

Posts: 294
FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Originally Posted by GUM85 View Post
I know this subject has probably been covered already but I've searched all over and can't seem to find an answer. I need to know where the PCV valve is located on my 2002 Focus LX with the SPI engine. I'm having rough idle issues and suspect this might be the problem considering a lot of people seem to have the rough idle issue and the hose coming from the PCV valve are known for collapsing or getting holes in them. There is a little valve on the top back of the valve cover at the top of the engine that twist in and out of the valve cover. Is that it? I've been reading that it's located on the back of the engine below the valve cover but I think that's only on the Zetec engines not the SPI. Any help (and possibly pictures) would be greatly appreciated. This rough idle is really starting to get on my last nerve
What you described is the PCV valve and it's location, yes. It's also a good idea to check the PCV valve hose that goes to the PCV valve, as they characteristically wear out, collapse on themselves and cause all sorts of drivability problems.

When the engine is cold and off, (of course), with a strong light lean over and into the engine bay right on top of the engine and follow the PCV hose from the PVC valve to the back lower part of the engine. Right at the bottom of the hose there is a 90 degree turn and right there is where the hose tends to collapse and/or develop a large vacuum leak. If this has happened, you'll need to replace it of course. It makes life much easier if you disconnect that plastic air tube leading to the throttle body and remove it for better access. All you need is a screwdriver to do this. Take your time and go easy. Plastic parts with a lot of time and mileage on them tend to get very brittle and break easily, so slow and easy does it.

These are the part numbers from my local Ford dealership, but check yours to be certain. Your Ford parts department will need the VIN number of your car to provide you with the correct parts -

1. PCV Valve - YS4Z 6A66 AC

2. PCV Valve Hose - YS4Z 6758 A

Bring some cash. The hose is a whopping $44 and the PCV valve is $16. Plead poverty and ask for a discount!

The hose itself simply pulls off of the PCV valve and also the back of the engine. A pair of needle nose pliers can help pull it off the back of the engine, as that's not an easy area to reach. If the PCV valve hose hasn't failed yet, it will. The 90 degree bend is made of very thin/cheap rubber and it always develops leaks.

I hope this helps you out.
BlueFocusSE5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote