01-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium
FF Reputation: 1
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0
I had MFT 3.5.1 installed a couple of days ago, and I'm happy with it.
- Happy they brought the ambient temperature reading back to the 8" display. You can turn it off if you don't want it there. I feel like I've been reunited with a long lost friend. No, the read-out in the smaller display in the instrument cluster isn't the same ambient temperature. That's his ornery cousin.
- Contrary to some other posters, MFT's overall performance has improved for me, but that could just be because my system hadn't crashed--er um "performed scheduled maintenance" in a while.
- My navigation favorites were gone. I had to re-add them, which led me to realize that keying is a lot more responsive now. Feedback was close to immediate--a huge improvement over the key and wait I had to deal with before.
- The previous version had empty boxes for the radio stations on the main screen and was missing other info on the Media screen. I see radio stations now. Lap of luxury! This wasn't a big deal to me before, since I tend to listen to music on my smartphone via USB. Speaking of...
- I have an iPhone 4S. Before the update, if I plugged in the phone, it'd take up to several minutes to switch to the device and start playing, and usually it would just switch to the device and not playing, requiring me to go to the Media page and press play. Other times, it would be in la la land and wouldn't play when I pressed Play, requiring me to connect and disconnect the phone to get it to linked up properly. I'm sure I only ran over three or four pedestrians while sorting that out.
- The MFT lady seems a bit more long-winded now. Last night she didn't quite catch a name I was asking to dial and went on and on about my options, including the option of calling an 800 support number. I know I could have interrupted her, and I would've, but I found the help monologue oddly entertaining. When I arrived at my destination, I prompted changed the voice option from Novice to Expert.
- I was so hoping the ability to program the 1 and 2 stars favorite buttons on the wheel would come back, but, no dice there. If I had my druthers, one would go to Nav and the other Media, because I'm super lazy and I think the 8" display steals the user's soul whenever he or she touches it. Okay, maybe not, but at a minimum, it gets greased up. I don't see how you can argue this was done to simplify the system. "Favorites" are inherently custom buttons. To set them to arbitrary destinations is presumptuous, to say the least.
- I saw someone post that the MFT Shuffle function actually works with iPod now. I'm hoping that means it works for iPhone 4S, as well. That was a major bug before. If I selected a specific song, MFT refused to go back to Shuffle, regardless of the Shuffle setting. The only way to fix it was to unplug the phone and set the phone to Shuffle.
- The MFT navi seems to be even less calibrated than before the update. It takes several minutes after driving out of a parking garage before it latches on to my location, and even then, it's still not accurate. I might have to get that checked out the next time I go to the dealership.
- I noticed after leaving the dealership that the clock was way off, which is nothing new. The date and time have randomly slipped from time to time. I'm not sure if this is related to the update or if there's still a date-time-keeping glitch. I'm guessing that sort of thing can't be corrected by a software update.