Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Oil Leak Video 2013 Focus

17K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
2013 Focus Oil Leak Video apparently from a Ford Service Tech.

Anyone encountering this issue? [bigcry]

#6 ·
See my post above.

Just so you know, NOWHERE has Ford called us, wrote to us or whispered to us Dealership Service personnel not to tell customers about this leak. It was poor judgement on this tech's choice not to tell his advisor. And perhaps he works for a dealer where he isn't allowed to speak up about these things. If so, he needs to get a new job at a respected place.

#5 ·
my 2012 is just starting to do this with 37,000 miles on it. Ford has a technical bulletin for this seal, if i remember correctly.

As a technician, his job is to report the status of a vehicle to his advisor. Typically, if a customer isn't complaining about something, we aren't to touch it unless we have the customers permission. Your refrigerator company doesn't send a tech to your home just to see if everything is okay and they sure wont send a tech to your house to check your dishwasher and replace parts under warranty unless you have a concern. The same goes for the auto industry, we just don't go replacing things all the time. However, if something is bad/not safe/clearly not right, we NEED to do something as a dealership. I just had a customer with a 2009 Escape who's left front axle seal was leaking badly. The owner wouldn't know this unless I told him. He lives in an apartment, so it would be hard for him to notice a leak on the ground. But, because it was bad and not safe, we replaced it for him under warranty after making him aware of it.

The tech in the video needs to understand that he isn't supposed to replace everything he sees unless the owner instructs him of a concern or has the owners permission. However, he failed at not notifying his service advisor of this leak. The leak isn't minor and should have been addressed. The advisor should have notified the customer and set up a time for repair. Making a youtube instead of being proactive, is simply unacceptable.

Yes, Ford knows about this type of leak and that is why they have a TSB to fix it. For those of you bashing Ford on this, do your homework first. They have a fix for the cars effected by this and it's free under Powertrain Warranty Coverage.

#12 ·
This is for the FORD technicians.

My question on this is should I contact my Dealership and ask to set a a time for them to Check this on my 2013 Focus right now or just wait until I change my oil and if I see this leak to then call them for a service appointment?

Misfire, I was not sure what a TSB was, a recall or just a service bulletin.

#15 ·
I changed the Oil over the weekend. No oil leaks, everything was clean and it just took a little extra time since the car has that cover to remove. But its a breeze to remove the filter.

I changed mine at 8100 miles and there was nothing in the oil I drained.

#16 ·
In the shop now...

I have been noticing that my 2012 SEL HB has been acting strange lately...the typical shutter between 1st & 2nd, and other clunky issues. I've also been feeling that the car lacked the power it had when I bought it. Just seems a little sluggish. Lower city mpg too (but not highway).

At just 12,000 miles, the car is still under warranty....I took it to the dealership to have them load the latest transmission software into the computer. They took a look, and sure enough, engine oil was leaking onto the clutches. They are replacing the rear main seal, as well as both clutches. The job will take them about 24 hours, but will (hopefully) solve the problem for good.

I could tell something was wrong because all last week on business I was driving a 2013 rental focus that was so much more responsive, and got much better city mileage. I knew right away to take in my car after that.

Still though, it's never very settling to have something like this happen to a car with just 12,000 miles. I've had many cars last 150,000 miles or more before their first leak.

#17 ·
I have been noticing that my 2012 SEL HB has been acting strange lately...the typical shutter between 1st & 2nd, and other clunky issues. I've also been feeling that the car lacked the power it had when I bought it. Just seems a little sluggish. Lower city mpg too (but not highway).

At just 12,000 miles, the car is still under warranty....I took it to the dealership to have them load the latest transmission software into the computer. They took a look, and sure enough, engine oil was leaking onto the clutches. They are replacing the rear main seal, as well as both clutches. The job will take them about 24 hours, but will (hopefully) solve the problem for good...
Touch base with me when the repair is done, jtburkett; I want to make sure this is resolved for you. If you need additional assistance, be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in your message.

Crystal

#20 ·
Out of the shop...

OK...I finally got my car back from the shop. I'm happy with the performance of the "new" transmission. Dealer said I would have paid more than $2K for this work outside of my warranty...yikes. Anyway, within 1 minute of driving my car, I knew it still wasn't quite right. It felt good and responsive to drive, only now under moderate throttle (torque) the engine is MUCH louder than before. I turned right around and took it back to the dealer and made a tech jump in the car with me as we went around the block. He agreed...it didn't sound normal. Almost like an exhaust joint was loose or a motor/transmission mount needed to be tightened. I sat there for an hour as they put it back on the lift, ran smoke through the exhaust system, checked mounts, nuts, bolts, and finally brought the car back to me....I pulled out of the dealer for the 2nd time, and the noise was no better whatsoever.

They told me to come back in a week when the main mechanic is back. Anyone have any ideas as to what would make the motor sound so loud under moderate acceleration? Almost like a Subaru...like there's a custom exhaust on it (albeit with the sound coming from under the engine), until I let of the gas and it's quiet as ever. The sound is at its loudest & most resonant at around 3,200 rpm.

It's hard to have a new car not be perfect.

#23 ·
Stevins,

The final diagnosis I was given was a bad clutch throw out bearing. Once it failed, it allowed trans. fluid to move to places where it wasn't supposed to be, including clutches. My actual rear main seal was not defective, but they replaced it anyway since they were already in there.

Keep us posted about what the dealer says.

#24 ·
Just did an oil change on my wife's 2013 Titanium, 4 months and 10,600 miles old now. First oil change was done by dealer at 5 weeks, 5,000 miles after purchase. Not sure if the was oil residue then or not. I just did the 2nd oil change the other day myself at 10,600 and noticed the leak there. So I will take it into the dealer later this week.

#25 ·
...just did the 2nd oil change the other day myself at 10,600 and noticed the leak there. So I will take it into the dealer later this week.
Hi silverknight,

I'm glad you made an appointment at your dealership so they can perform an inspection. Once you get a diagnosis, PM me and I'll look into options to assist. When you follow up, be sure to include your name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership.

Todd

#26 ·

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-GjuK3NJwNN1dWbHVLNlZ3blk/edit?usp=sharing

Picture above.

2013 Focus SE 5spd manual, 1 year old.

i just hit 15K miles Had dealer change the oil at 5K, did it myself at 10K, no oil leaks...just changed it at 15K and noticed the oil level was maybe half a quart lower than when I filled it at 10K.

There is a small amount of oil on the bottom cover, and if you look at the picture there seems to be some oil on the front - bottom area of the Motor. There were some small drops gathered at the bottom as well.

Does this look like something I should take to the dealer to look at, or am I over-reacting? And will some dealers blow it off if you've changed your own oil?

Been using Mobil 1 Synthetic, same weight that's called for, and Mobile 1 Filters.

#27 ·
Does this look like something I should take to the dealer to look at, or am I over-reacting? And will some dealers blow it off if you've changed your own oil?
Hey ztbishop,

I recommend bringing your Focus in to your dealer. In addition, I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager to assist. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and servicing dealership.

I'll get this up the ladder.

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.