Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Test drove the ST

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  gonefhsn 
#1 ·
Drove a Tangerine Scream ST2 today just to see what it was all about. I already knew the 2.0 EcoBoost would be great as I have a 2013 Escape and it's a gem of an engine.

Took it out on some back roads, was very impressed the power and sharp handling of this thing! Road noise was high with the tires and ride was stiff as expected, not sure how it would wear on you in daily driving, but expected for the performance.

Loved the seats, 6 speed transmission, supplimental gauges, and engine note was awsome especially for a 4 cylinder engine! Interior dash and door material quality noticeably lower than my 2013 Escape and it was missing some features that I believe an ST should come with---namely dimming rearview mirror, rain sensing wipers, and universal garage door opener.

I am happy that Ford is putting out vehicles like this, as I can connect with these like I did when they had the full SVT model line out. I always knew the styling and hatchback of the ST was not for me but love the powertrain and chassis.

Looking forward to Ford coming out with a Fusion ST, with a 6 speed manual. I will trade the Escape immediately for it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I also test drove an ST2 over the weekend and loved it! Coming from a 13 Titanium, the ST was a bit more stiff and the ride was more "bouncy" but the road noise was about the same. I had 2 passengers and the car pulled strong and the steering was dead on accurate. The 6MT was smooth and made no fuss when pushed quickly (like a Mazdaspeed3 would). It was my first time with an ST and I was able to launch at ~3k without much wheel spin and torque steer (unlike a Mazdaspeed3). I just bought my Ti in September but if I hadn't, I would get a base ST.

#4 ·
If I got an ST I'd get the tune that does away with the temporary over boost feature but I've been reading it's a bit of a handful over rough or wet roads due to the torque steer you mention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.