Focus Fanatics Forum banner

rust on the spark plugs

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
I replaced the spark plugs and wires today, with original parts motorcraft.

The engine block (the cavity where the spark plugs are mounted) was extremely rusted and full with water.

i cleaned everything v good with a vacuum and compressed air and i repeated this step a couple of times.

anyway, unfortunately after i removed the spark plugs, some rust came into the engine. I couldn't clean that. I mounted the new sparks and wires.

the engine is having some hiccups, not bad but is not running normal.

How can i resolve this with a very easy procedure? (i'm not a mechanic [???:)] )

Thanks
2003 focus zts

#2 ·
What was the condition of the wires and plugs when you replaced them? Replaced them because of the # of miles or something was running poorly. By running poorly are you saying its missing? Or something else? Usually their is just a bit of oil from a bad valve cover gasket. To have water and rust means you must have been driving in deep water and have bad seals on the wires around the valve cover.

#4 ·
[facepalm] yes

@magus2727
this is why i replaced the wires. the seal was broken and water was dripping inside. the interior part of the wires was full with rust.
the hiccups just appeared after i replaced the wires and spark plugs.
before that, even with water all around them, it was running good.
now, after replacement, and after some dirt and rust came inside the engine, is having hiccups

#5 ·
Ensure that the spark plugs are tight and that the connections of the wires are also tight. When pushing the wire onto the spark plug and the coil you should feel a light snap as they snap into place.

And did you route the wires exactly like the old ones were? Are you certain you have the correct wire going to the correct spark plug?

I seriously doubt that any damage was done by a little bit of tiny debris getting into the cylinders. It would get blown out in a matter of seconds of running.

#6 ·
@jetrinka

everything is how is supposed to be. i will double check the connections. (i used dilectric grease on contacts and anti-seize on threads)

i didn't run the car at all...just a few seconds. Maybe tomorrow, after a few couple of miles to work will work better?

is there an gas additive or some kind of fuel mixture that i can use to clean the cylinders?

#7 ·
If it was just a few seconds of running, the roughness was probably just due to the water that was in the plug holes just dripping down into the cylinders. If everything is exactly as it was (as far as the installation being correct) I would bet that if you started it up and let it run, within 10-15 seconds it would be running smoothly again.

This happens to me at work sometimes. If there is oil in the spark plug tubes and I am doing a tuneup, I will clean out the tubes with carb cleaner with the plugs out and this liquid gets into the cylinders. It is hard starting at first but once its started give it some gas to blow everything out and it runs well again. (granted I also recommend replacing the VC gasket if there are oil in the tubes... lol)

I wouldn't worry about any kind of additive. You'll be just fine.

#10 ·
The factory plug tunnel cover part of the wires does not totally seal water out, only the bulk of it, I've seen some wires with small notch for venting I guess, that small hole leaks water in even if wire fitted properly. Washing motor would do it.

#12 ·
Spark plugs, don't you usually hand tighten and the do a 1/4 turn? That's how I have always done it. A lot of large TQ wrenches don't work well that low. Usually they start at 20lbs. I just looked on AutoZones site. They have 3 listed. 1/2 drive starts at 30ft/lbs, and a 3/8's starting at 20ft-lbs. So if you got either of these you most likely over torqued it because the tool was not rated to be able to tq that low.

#13 ·
If using the angle seat plugs they don't even need 9 ft.lbs., they tighten up as they stay in motor........I don't think I get near 1/4 turn on mine, closer to 1/8 thinking although never really checked it. Just thinking off the top of my head.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.