Focus Fanatics Forum banner

bad svt problems!!!HELPPP

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  nafsucof 
#1 ·
Ok just today I went to start my 2002 SVT Focus and it took quite a bit of turning over to finally start but it finally did. I let it run for awhile (prob around 5-10 mins) I then noticed that the header was getting really hot as in glowing orange hot. The coolant hoses around the header were smoking a little bit! I then shut the car off till I had to move it out of my driveway (it was still hard to start). Any suggestions as to what is wrong would be much appreciated! Thanks

#4 ·
It ran fine and started up easy until the alternator went. I just replaced it and got everything back together and it was hard to start.. it has to turn over for about 5 seconds. I heard something about the vct solenoid going bad and causing this?

#9 ·
Ok guys.... changed out the vct solenoid...went to start it up and the same thing happened..it turns over for a good 10 seconds then starts almost like its carburated ...and the header still got hot rly fast and glowed again... I'm lost on what it could be! If the block was cracked would it do this? What else would cause this?

#10 ·
did you check the Cat?? I read you checked the VCT Solenoid, but the people here are suggesting you check your Cat.

Maybe, you should check that. Take it a muffler shop if you want them to check it.

Or if you have an OBDII Reader, unplug your cat and run your car for a couple of minutes. IT WILL BE LOUD ... but if the headers don't turn red, and all you get is the 2nd O2 sensor issue, then it's your cat.

And the code for the O2 sensor would be because you would be doing this test with out the cat in.

Ray

#16 ·
Things that would make it hard to crank and make the header glow at idle

To little fuel or to much fuel ( this can be checked with a fuel psi gauge and a scan tool)
To little or to much ignition timing ( this can only be checked with a scan tool)
Cam timing off ( this can be checked by setting the cams and #1 Cly like your going to install a new timing belt )
Vac leak but this would also cause a very high idle , like above 2500rpm (this can be confirmed with a scan tool or checking every vac like for issues , this I do not feel is your issue)

I have never seen a CAT cause a hard cranking or a header to glow until you put a load on the engine
I think he is either running very lean , overly rich and burning the fuel in the header(rare) or has a valve open when it shouldn't be from cam timing issues , these are the most common then it gets complicated

Tom

#31 ·
check your cat. why would your block be cracked?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.