Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Power Steering Fluid is Foaming

43K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Mile30 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2006 ZXW with the 2.0L Duratec last week. Yesterday while driving I swore I heard a noise that sounded like I was low on power steering fluid and sure enough as I turn the last corner to come home the power steering is really tough and is growling/whining. So i pop the hood to check the fluid level and the power steering fluid is foaming out of the cap. Any ideas as to what could be the issue?

#2 ·
Probably have air in the system, is the fluid clean? Try taking the cap off and turn the wheel from wheel stop to stop with the car running to push some of the air out, also check for leaks from anywhere in the rack/p.s lines

#4 ·
If your fluid is low or dirty do the above recommended with the turkey baster. This is the lazy way to change fluid, I did it on my girlfriends saturn.

I sucked as much as I could out, topped it off with clean fluid had her turn back and forth (front of vehicle jacked up, engine running), repeated until fluid was 90% clear which took about 2 quarts. I would assume you would have it mostly clean after a gallon [scratch]

You'll never get it all unless you do an actual flush though.

#6 ·
Ok so here if my findings. This initially happened last night so it was bone cold when I did this test today. I pulled the car off the street and the pump whined for a little bit "i'm assuming since it was still foaming and making noise when i got home" then became quiet this took roughly 30 seconds from start to park. I let it sit in the drive for few hours then jacked it up and put on stands.

I did as 05FocusST91 said and tried to burp/bleed the system with the car off. My GF cycled back roughly 30 times, and I noticed some bubbles at first where there was some air but then the fluid just moved around like normal from turning the wheel.

Took the car off the stands and went for a 10 minute drive, pump was quiet the whole time even through my crazy parking lot maneuvers to try to promote the foaming issue. So I thought all was good until my foot got heavy after a corner. Almost as soon as I let off I could hear the pump whining and the next corner it was most certainly whining. I did not stop but continued to take the 5 minute trip across town to go home the pump whining most of the way, about halfway I don't hear it anymore.

When I get home I pop the hood and see where what looks like a little spilled from foaming up, but there was no foam at all in the reservoir.

Last night right before I heard the whining I was full throttle off the light shortly before my house. Anyone have any Ideas as why a full throttle run could cause the power steering fluid to foam?

Oh and should I have tried to burp/bleed the system with the car running or not?

#7 ·
The fluid line connection to the power steering pump is flexing at higher throttle and allowing bits of air into the system. Or the power steering pump has a crack in it.
Just a guess but fits the symptoms.
Maybe all you need is to check the connections and tighten them?

#12 ·
They self bleed, it's just that if fluid level gets low and pulls air then it will take sitting a time or two to let all the air degas out of the fluid. If continually getting air then the system has sprung an airleak on suction side to suck in air since easier to pull air than fluid..............return line or pump seal issue.

#13 ·
Took it to my parents on Tuesday, the trip is a 4 hour round trip. I ended up taking the ZXW to the garage down the road and they couldn't get it to act up like it was doing 2 days prior. I ended up taking the car out and tried to get it to foam over like it did before but I could not get anything to happen.
We assumed that the long trip got the fluid circulating enough to work all the air out, or got warm enough to evaporate any moisture that could have been in there. So we called it "fixed" for the time being. If anything else happens I'll go from there but for the time being the wagon is doing fine.

#15 ·
Just an update, I haven't had the power steering flushed yet but so far all is well I haven't had any problems with the power steering pump again. Thanks for the help on getting it bled and the tips on getting it flushed, that will probably wait till spring when it warms up a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.